2619 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

UX:vxfs fstyp: ERROR: V-3-20013: unrecognized vxfs version number

chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi ,

We are not able to mount luns presented in 11iv3 hosts , to 11iv2 hosts .

We are getting folowing error :

Is there any way by which we can achieve this ?

HPUX 11.31 :

root #/ >fstyp -v /dev/vg_mzgb_day_nyt_db/lvol1
vxfs
version: 7

#swlist

Base-VXFS                 B.11.31        Base VxFS File System 4.1 Bundle for HP-UX

Base-VxFS-501            B.05.01.03     Veritas File System Bundle 5.0.1 for HP-UX

HPUX 11.23:

#fstyp -v /dev/vg_mzgb_day_nyt_db/lvol1

unknown_fstyp (no matches)

#swlist

Base-VXFS          4.1.002        VERITAS File System Bundle 4.1 for HP-UX

Base-VXVM          B.04.10.011    Base VERITAS Volume Manager Bundle 4.1 for HP-UX

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: UX:vxfs fstyp: ERROR: V-3-20013: unrecognized vxfs version number

The problem is the vxfs file system version on the file system you are trying to mount.  It is version 7.

root #/ >fstyp -v /dev/vg_mzgb_day_nyt_db/lvol1
vxfs
version: 7

On your HP-UX 11.23 server you are running Base-VXFS  version 4.1.002.  With this version you only have support for version 5 file systems.

In order to get support for version 7 file systems on HP-UX 11.23 you will need to upgrade your VxFS to version 5.0.

You can see all supported VxFS versions and file system version for each OS in this document:

Supported File and File System Sizes for HFS and JFS

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.rid_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.rst_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02919889-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&ja...

So far I have not been able to find where / how to get VxFS 5.0 for 11iv2/11.23.

chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi Patrick ,

The requirement is i need to mount , mountpoint created in hp ux 11i v2 to 11i v3.

Is atleast this possible in my case ?

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If possible, you could backup the data currently on the LUN, then unmount it on the 11.31 system, and then run mkfs on it on the 11.23 system. This will re-initialize the LUN with an older version of vxfs which will be useable by both systems. Then you can mount the LUN on either system and restore the data.

(Note: since this is not a cluster filesystem and the systems are not properly configured for that, you should not attempt to mount the LUN on both systems simultaneously. If you do that, the filesystem will get corrupted for sure. Always unmount the LUN on one system before mounting it on the other. If you add this LUN to /etc/fstab on either system, use the "noauto" option to prevent accidental mounts at boot time.)

@Patrick: 

Looks like this is at least a necessary step to enable the VxFS 5.0 support on 11.23:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=EnableVxFS

However, I'm not certain if it is sufficient alone or if more packages would be needed with it.

MK
chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi Matti ,

This depot requires eome patches which am downloading.

Will update you asap.

I think this depot requires a reboot too.

Hope it wont affect my existing luns which are running on lower disk layout versions.