1745807 Members
3562 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on HP 2133

Frederick Shope
Occasional Contributor

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on HP 2133

Perhaps by now no one will care about this post, but here it is FWIW.

In 2008 I purchased an HP 2133 with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 pre-installed.

The machine never worked satisfactorily: no sound, no camera, no modem software, no OS updates (that I could ever find), and it crashed constantly. Also no support from HP (again that I could ever find). Eventually the browsers refused to update because the OS was outdated, and the machine became almost useless.

Recently, on a whim, I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04, overwriting SUSE. Much to my surprise, the install succeeded. Suddenly -- under Ubuntu -- everything started working. I found that for the first time, I had sound, camera, wireless, and it has not crashed -- not once. The machine has gone from one that I rarely used to one that works quite well. I am now tickled pink with the machine.

If you are struggling with a 2133 with SUSE linux, I recommend you consider overwriting SUSE with Ubuntu.

P.S. this thread has been moevd from Community Feedback & Suggestions to Linux > sysadmin - Hp Forum moderator