108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade > 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Upgrade > 11.11

After I upgraded my 11.0 N's to 11.11, everything seems to be fine. Except, I am still puzzled if I need to re-mirror the root drive. I see 2 physical volumes with vgdisplay -v. However I have another problem also. I tried " vgsync -v /dev/vg00 " and it returns an error on both N's that I upgraded.
The error is "vgsync -v /dev/vg00
vgsync: Error, "vgsync" is not a valid LVM command."
UNIX IS GOOD
9 REPLIES 9
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

I also tried lvsync.....

lvsync -v /dev/vg00/lvol1
lvsync: Error, "lvsync" is not a valid LVM command.
UNIX IS GOOD
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I did run, swlist | grep -i mirr and I dont see my HPUX mirroring software. Does the upgrade wipe it out? Is this my problem?
UNIX IS GOOD
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Robert,

Yes, it would appear that you're going to have to re-install MirrorDiskUX. I believe your old 11.0 version of MirrorDisk has to be upgraded as well, that's why it gets wiped out.

Pete

Pete
Trond Haugen
Honored Contributor

I too have seen that Mirror often wil have to be re-installed.
It IS part og the Mission Critical OE. But as that didn't exist in 11.0 it seems to have to be installed/upgraded as a product from the application CD/DVD afterwards.

Regards,
Trond
Regards,
Trond Haugen
LinkedIn
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Thanks, so I am assuming I will need to re-create the mirror and sync vg00 again?
UNIX IS GOOD
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Robert,

I'm not sure. I would install it and then check to see if the mirrors exist via lvdisplay.

Pete

Pete
Trond Haugen
Honored Contributor

In my experience the mirrors stats intact. BUT no "mirror-commands" will work.
So if a mirror is "synced" it's OK. I haven't tested so if you post your finding that would be great.

Generally for mirrors you will not get stale extents until LVM detects that it can't read or write a extent. Generally that means it will get stale when writing.

Regards,
Trond
Regards,
Trond Haugen
LinkedIn
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your assumption is correct. After installing the software you will be required to manually resync all logical volumes.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

If you stop and think about it, it's logical that you would have to manually re-sync. During the upgrade, you lost your mirror software, so, despite the fact that the mirrors exist, no mirroring is taking place. Then you reinstall the software. When you look at the mirrors, they should be stale. Even if they're not marked as stale, they would have to be out of sync because they still have 11.0 information on them.

Pete

Pete