108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade to 11i from 11.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regina Mitchell
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade to 11i from 11.0

I need to upgrade two HP servers from 11.0 to 11.i. I need to communicate the amount of time it wil take for the upgrade along with any backout time if it applies for each server. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your replies.
3 REPLIES 3
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Upgrade to 11i from 11.0

That depends - on kind of box, etc...

Look at 2 to 4 hours, then double for backout (use ignite make_tape_recovery).

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

It normally takes an upgrade anywhere from 2 to 4 hours, depending on how long it takes to boot up the machines and how much data you have to restore. You should give yourself a window of at least 4 to 6hours to perform this task and this only applies if you're doing both servers at the same time.

I wouldn't suggest doing an upgrade but cold install because to many problems can go wrong with an upgrade... I know I've been a victim of an upgrade gone wrong and ended up doing a cold install and restoring the data.

If your root disk is mirrored, then I suggest breaking the mirror and perfom the install on one disk and if all goes well then remirror it and if not you can always boot up on the old o.s.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Regina Mitchell
Frequent Advisor

I'm going to play it safe and say about 12 hours per server. It takes a while for both servers to boot up, I would ay at least 45 minutes. Thanks for the replies. And yes I will use ignite_make_recovery for backout. I'm also interested in breaking the root mirror and doing the upgrade that way.