New Discussion юеВ

Using shared folder to create ISO

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Using shared folder to create ISO

Hello,

I'm trying to perfom an Ignite process(make_media_install), then write the image to a DVD, in this case I don't have a DVD, I'm using a cifs mount to do that, the problem is that the growisofs apparently does not support this process because does not detect a valid device, is there another way to create this ISO to a shared folder in another equipment ?

Thanks,

Marco,
Just unplug and plug in again ....
9 REPLIES 9
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Using shared folder to create ISO

What if you just ftp the ISO file that is created to the other system and then burn the DVD ??

Dee_3
Regular Advisor

I am having the EXACT same issue and want a better solution than to ftp to another server. I thought Ignite could write to a shared folder - does anyone know if that changed? I did not want to start another thread on this and have already talked to HP about it - in their world it is has to be a physical DVD drive (according to what we were told) - any help on this would be AWESOME! Thanks, D
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I'm so smart !!

Sorry, I had a brain fart ..., that's what I'm gonna do, or maybe just use the SHARES!!! ...

Thanks,

Marco,
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Tim and Dee , I think that this software is just looking for that .. a physical unit, for that reason it is failing.

Well, maybe someday that's going to change and we will be able to use those shares as virtual medias.

Regards,

Marco,
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

plus how can you ftp an image that you do not have because it errors out?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Below is how I use this. Maybe it would be the same as your results.

I use ignite to clone a large number of Integrity Virtual Machines.

I use the make_media_install script to create an ISO image to use as a boot helper in order to boot my IVMs.

When running the make_media_install I let it fail, as I also do not have a DVD burner on my unix server(s). Even though the script fails the ISO file is still created. I take that ISO file and use it as virtual media for my IVMs.

In your case, can you not select the output destination ( I believe it is the -m switch) to specify where to put the ISO file ? If so can you not specify this CIFS mount and will the ISO file not still be created ?

The make_media_install script is failing on the DVD burn ( because we do not have one ), it is not failing on the creation of the image.iso file...

Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

That's the point guys, I got the ISO here, but I'm trying to burn it ..., like to a IVM virtual media ...

I'll use the cifs mounts to move the ISO to another location.

Regards,

Marco,
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Here is another way, much easier.

Create your virtual host (vHost) if you have not already.

ftp this image.iso to the vHost. Let's say to /iux_images/

Once you have your Virtual Guest vGuest created. Present this file as a virtual DVD ( vDVD ).
e.g.
hpvmmodify -P guest1 -a dvd:scsi::file:/iux_images/image.iso

You can now boot your vGuest from this image, the vDVD will show up as a boot devices on the vEFI ..
Ta Da....

To create more vGuests using the same ISO, modify this vDVD backingstore so you can share it with all vGuests.
e.g. hpvmmodify -m gdev:/iux_images/image.iso:attr:SHARE=YES

There are some other tricks to allow picking a number of files to be vDVDs, let me know if you would like that too..

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

A similar thread where I put some pointers on how to mount ISO images:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1278795