108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VNC for HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
George N
Advisor

Oops, you found a typo! Yes, I meant to say X server, not X client. But aside from this typo, the information is correct. You don't need an X server installed on HP-UX in order to display the Oracle installation GUI on your local PC. You simply need an X server (such as Xming) running on your local PC. No need to install anything on HP-UX.
JeanBernard
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all for all the help, especially to Torsten and SEP that more or less gave me a magical solution!

Steven Schweda, I know you want to be didactical, and your advice on being more specific was a good one, but maybe if you had phrased it differently it wouldn't have sounded so mean...

So, in short, what I wanted was to install VNC server on my App server, but what I NEEDED was an explanation about X11 forwarding.

So uncommented one line in /opt/ssh/etc/sshd_config:
> X11Forwarding yes
and use the following command on my management station:
ssh -X root@

I told you, I'm a complete HP-UX newbie, so I just didn't know how to to this.

Once again, thanks a lot for all your help.

Rule One: There are no rules
Rule Two: Cheat anyway
-- John Wick in "Play Dirty"
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>Now, I need to install oracle on my server, but, to do so, I need X to be configured correctly.

I hardly think that X is the only way to get a working OracleDB running on your system. We have vast number of DB servers, but none of them have/had X nor a VNC server. Anyway, YMMV...
Unix operates with beer.