4295 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is difference between backup and archive in TSM

Harikrishnan L
Frequent Advisor

What is difference between backup and archive in TSM

Dear all,

I have some confution in TSM schedule of backu p and archive, like restore and retrive is TSM server,

Very help me if any one explance clearly to me.

Thanks in Advnce.
Krish..
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

The archive basically creates a one time snapshot of data for long-term if not indefinite storage for
legal purposes. It is not intended to track changes and be point in time like a backup. It would be best to
look to IBM for this information, this link should help you out.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsmc.doc/baclients.html
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

"Backups differ from archives in the sense that archives are the primary copy of data, usually put away for future use, while backups are a secondary copy of data, kept on hand to replace the original item"

Rahul Rai_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Krish,

The TSM Archive feature preserves documents for long-term storage. These copies are stored in a separate archive section on the TSM server, and are not accessible by the normal backup or restore commands. Archives are not for backups, they are for archiving important documents or datasets that may be needed in the future, but are a "waste of space" on our fileservers.

All of the data backed up, the databases for each machine being backed up, etc., are stored on the backup server. The client software, OS, and even the machine can be replaced without losing the backups of that machine. Backups, by default, copy everything from your system to the backup server

Regards,
Rahul Rai.