New Discussion юеВ

Re: about insf and disks..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefano_65
Regular Advisor

about insf and disks..

hi everybody
I'm testing a very old D Class (D230), with hp-ux 11.0.
There are 2 disks, and a CDROM. Everything is ok.
Now I'm addind some extra disks, an old scsi enclosure (hp6000 scsi se), with some disks.
The problem is so strange: when enclosure is powered on, the hardware path and special file of cdrom disappear, and is substituted by the same hwpath and special file that belong to one of the enclosure's disks.
What I've to do?

thanx
s.
11 REPLIES 11
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Probably the SCSI ID of a Disk off your HP6000 is the same as the SCSI id of your CD.

Change the SCSI ID so that you don't have a duplicate id.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You're probably on the same bus as the CD & one of the disks has the same SCSI ID.
You need to determine which one of the disks is using that ID & change it.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Borislav Perkov
Respected Contributor

Hi,
Check the SCSI address setings on the enclosure.
It looks like it is the same as other devices path.
Regards,
Borislav
Stefano_65
Regular Advisor

thanks guys!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You almost certainly have a SCSI ID conflict between one of the disks in the enclosure and the CD-ROM.

On the D-class machines the internal CD-ROM is on the same SCSI bus as the external SE-SCSI connector.

To solve the problem, change the SCSI ID on the disk in the enclosure that is causing the problem.

Also remember that on a SE bus, you can only have 8 devices, SCSI ID's 0 thru 7, and the controller takes up one of those IDs.
Stefano_65
Regular Advisor

thanks everybody... but I don't know how to change SCSI Id on te enclosure...
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

You change the scsi id internally.

There is jumper set of each disk installed in the hp6000
Stefano_65
Regular Advisor

ehmm.. ok thanks.

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

On those HP6000 trays/enclosures, if they are set up correctly, there should be 5 sets of switches on the back. Each set of switches should have 4 toggles that can be turned on or off.

Those toggles are used to set the SCSI ID. For single-ended devices you will NOT use the toggle that is farthest left in each set of switches (that is the 8 bit, which does not apply to SE). The other 3 toggles are, from left to right, the 4 bit, 2 bit and 1 bit.

The toggles that are on control the SCSI id.

If all are off, then your ID is 0. If the 4-bit and 1-bit are on, then your ID is 5. If all 3 are on, your ID is 7.

To set the ID, first turn off the enclosure, set the ID, then turn the enclosure back on. Then try reattaching to your machine and see what shows up.

Good luck.