108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot unmount (exported) filesystem lsof and fuser do NOT show it as busy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kris_Knigga
Trusted Contributor

I don't think 'exportfs -a' unexports/unshares things that have gone missing from dfstab. I believe you've got to 'exportfs -u <exported path>', 'exportfs -ua', 'unshare <exported path>', or 'unshareall'.

Kris Knigga
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

"If the NFS daemons truely do not hold open filesystems that contain NFS exports (suggested by the lack of help from fuser or lsof), then I'm guessing a list of NFS exports is consulted when an unmount is attempted.  If this is the case, maybe a request for enhancement should be created to give a more useful error message?  I'm sure this bites most people new to 11.31 at some point."

Kris, you are SO RIGHT.  I got bit!

I know where to look now.  I'll view the contents of /etc/dfs/sharetab to make sure the filesystem to unmount is not listed there.

I see I can also run:   "unshare   /back" in the event I need to unhook an NFS exported filesystem yet keep others still NFS mounted to other client computers.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Like /etc/mnttab is used by the mount/umount commands to track currently mounted filesystems, /etc/dfs/sharetab is used by the share/unshare commands to track currently shared filesystems.

Neither file should be edited by hand in any normal situation.

If you edit them, it will cause confusion, unless you really know what you're doing.

Tools like fuser and lsof will only tell you if something is being used by any userspace process: the kernel NFS server is not an userspace process, although some of its components may appear as processes in the ps -ef listing.

MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I'm sure this bites most people new to 11.31 at some point.

I don't think this has changed for 11.31, except you need to look at /etc/dfs/sharetab instead of /etc/xtab.

>I don't think "exportfs -a" unexports/unshares things that have gone missing from dfstab

Right, exportfs -a only adds filesystems, unless -u is used.  I assume that -au uses the info in /etc/dfs/sharetab.

>Neither file should be edited by hand in any normal situation.

It probably doesn't matter since mnttab is a device file (on 11.31) and can't be edited.