5561 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: date is changing !!!!

Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

thanks for ur reply,

where can i find the meaning of the dip switch on the system board? and to what should i set them. Can you send me a document explaining the meaning of each setting for the dip switch? maybe this really is the problem....

thanks in advance
If you can't solve it, post it :)
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Elias,
if the system clock is so badly out, I would suspect either a faulty clock or a cron job.
Best thing to do would be to print a message every 10 minutes and time the delay. That way you know whether it is a slow growth (clock) or a one-off hit (cron)
Regards
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Elias,
after you reset the time does the difference stay the same i.e. Is the system time slowing or is the difference static.
Please see threads:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=136748
and
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=114243
Regards
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If it is exactly 4hours, the date is probably not changing at all. Your $TZ variable controls the display of GMT (which is what HP-UX runs). To see GMT time/date:

TZ=GMT0 date

To see the date in US Pacific timezone:

TZ=PST8PDT date

which is 8 hours less than GMT. If the date slowly changes (a few minutes at a time) then you likely have a hardware problem. But if it jumps by hours, it is very likely the TZ variable which is automatically set with 'normal' logins in /etc/profile and configured by the file: /etc/TIMEZONE.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi Elias

If the system clock is getting out of sync and if there is no cron job then it should be with the system board. Make sure there is nothing on the cron table to eliminate the suspicion. Also make sure that the ntp is running and getting to sync with a server.

Rgds

HGN
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

There was also a firmware patch for the A boxes that corrected drifting clocks. You should update to the latest firmware as a matter of course.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Elias,
Sorry can't help you with the dip switches. The server was on an HP support contract and an engineer came out and changed it. I believe it was related to the clock speed and I think it was set to 60Mhz and no 50Mhz but this was March 2004 and I've had plently of late nights since then.