1748252 Members
3873 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dtlogin [options] menu

dtlogin [options] menu

I have a requirement to allow only valid users such as root to be able to access the failsafe and command line menu items within the options menu. Is this possible?
The light at the end of tunnel has been switched off until further notice!
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: dtlogin [options] menu

Peter,

Seeing as how you can pull those options down before you even log in, I would suspect that this would be difficult to the point of impossibility.

Pete

Pete
Dan Beeler_1

Okay,

I'm a Solaris guy, but I assume the dtlogin is fairly similar for CDE regardless of the O/S.

The standard CDE configuration files live in /usr/dt/config in Solaris 2.6. You're not supposed to edit them there, but copy the files you want to modify to /etc/dt/config and edit them there. The /etc/dt directory does not exist, you must create it.

Even if this isn't exact, hopefully it will get you started.

--dan

Customizing dtgreet, the login widget, is done through /etc/dt/config/C/Xresources; near the end you'll find the following:

!! To disable options in dtgreet window, uncomment the appropriate
!! line below.

!Dtlogin*options_noWindows*sensitive: False
!Dtlogin*remote_host_menu*sensitive: False
!Dtlogin*options_languages*sensitive: False
!Dtlogin*session_menus*sensitive: False
!Dtlogin*options_restartServer*sensitive: False

!! To disable options under remote login option menu, uncomment the
!! appropriate line below.

!Dtlogin*remote_login_host*sensitive: False
!Dtlogin*choose_login_host*sensitive: False

By removing the ! in front of the !Dtlogin you can disable the following menu items, respectively:

1) Command Line Login
2) Remote Login
3) Language choice
4) Session choice
5) Reset Login Screen
6) Under the "Remote Login" menu, "Enter Hostname ..."
7) Under the "Remote Login" menu, "Choose Host From List ..."

Two undocumented options, "options_failsafe" and "options_last_dt", can be used to disable the Failsafe and Last Session choices, though the default will continue to be "Last Session".

By commenting out the following lines by prepending them with a exclamation mark (!), you can disable the CDE environment login (and force users to use the other choices)

Dtlogin*altDts: 1

Dtlogin*altDtName1: Common Desktop Environment (CDE)
Dtlogin*altDtKey1: /usr/dt/bin/dtwm
Dtlogin*altDtStart1: /usr/dt/bin/Xsession
Dtlogin*altDtLogo1: Dtlogo

The OpenWindows Desktop can be disable by creating an empty "/etc/dt/config/C/Xresources.d/Xresources.ow" file. Other desktops can be added by creating files like Xresources.ow in the Xresources.d directory.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dan,

That's excellent info and, to the best of my knowledge, equally applicable to HP-UX.

However, that will disable these options on a global basis, rather than for particular users. I can't see a way to specify who this applies to, mostly because we don't even know who they are at this point in time.

Pete

Pete
Dan Beeler_1

Pete you are right. I guess I overlooked the meat of the issue.