1753259 Members
6150 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ioscan not show the same thing as ioscan

Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

ioscan not show the same thing as ioscan

Yes,  on my system I get results I am not expecting.  Why don't the ioscans show the same thing? What am I overlooking?

I have attached a text file with the details.  Thebottom issue is my new upgraded Data Protector 'lost' the tape drives and even though it is [x] to automagically find them again it is failing.

My host for all this is running HP-UX 11.31

4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I count 18 tape drives in both listings.

What are you seeing that isn't correct?

If you did a major DP upgrade like 6 to 7, or 7 to 9, then you may have to discover the drives again. The autodiscover feature is really for hardware changes, not upgrades to the software.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please check tape listing using command devbra and verify the tape list.

/opt/omni/lbin/devbra -dev

If your devbra -dev show all your tapes

1)then verify port/dns resolution between Cell Manager and tape drive connected server

2)) Verify  encryption setting in your DP Cellmanager againt the tape drive connected client

3) If the both didnt fix then verify from Cell Manager GUI scanning drive against client , you are getting serial number info , if not then the tape drive have SCSI lock from different system if it is a shared one to fix it restart tape drive from Command View TL.

Sincere Regards,

Aneesh

Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

/opt/omni/lbin/devbra -dev

If your devbra -dev show all your tapes

It shows them but some don't really exist (for lack of a batter word)

1)then verify port/dns resolution between Cell Manager and tape drive connected server

The CM has the fiber going right to it.  The CM manages the DLT and VLS.

2)) Verify  encryption setting in your DP Cellmanager againt the tape drive connected client

Don't use encryption so I guess nothing to check

3) If the both didnt fix then verify from Cell Manager GUI scanning drive against client , you are getting serial number info , if not then the tape drive have SCSI lock from different system if it is a shared one to fix it restart tape drive from Command View TL.

Have rebooted CM, MSL6060 and VLS stii nothing seems to work.  The environment somehow seems to have duplicate entries which are causing the error(s):

tape     30  0/2/1/1.10.13.255.0.0.0  stape   CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 2-SCSI     Drive 3
                      /dev/rmt/30m           /dev/rmt/30mn          /dev/rmt/c7t0d0BEST    /dev/rmt/c7t0d0BESTn
                      /dev/rmt/30mb          /dev/rmt/30mnb         /dev/rmt/c7t0d0BESTb   /dev/rmt/c7t0d0BESTnb
tape     31  0/2/1/1.10.13.255.0.0.1  stape   CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 2-SCSI     Drive 4
                      /dev/rmt/31m           /dev/rmt/31mn          /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BEST    /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTn
                      /dev/rmt/31mb          /dev/rmt/31mnb         /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTb   /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTnb
                 /dev/rtape/tape62_BEST   /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BEST
                 /dev/rtape/tape62_BESTn   /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTn
                 /dev/rtape/tape62_BESTb   /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTb
                 /dev/rtape/tape62_BESTnb   /dev/rmt/c7t0d1BESTnb

tape     33  0/3/1/1.10.9.255.0.0.1   stape   CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 2-SCSI     Drive 1
                      /dev/rmt/28m           /dev/rmt/28mnb         /dev/rmt/33mn          /dev/rmt/c6t0d1BESTb
                      /dev/rmt/28mb          /dev/rmt/33m           /dev/rmt/33mnb         /dev/rmt/c6t0d1BESTn
                      /dev/rmt/28mn          /dev/rmt/33mb          /dev/rmt/c6t0d1BEST    /dev/rmt/c6t0d1BESTnb
tape     29  0/3/1/1.10.9.255.0.0.2   stape   NO_HW       DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 2-SCSI     Drive 2
                      /dev/rmt/29m           /dev/rmt/29mn          /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BEST    /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTn
                      /dev/rmt/29mb          /dev/rmt/29mnb         /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTb   /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTnb
                 /dev/rtape/tape32_BEST   /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BEST
                 /dev/rtape/tape32_BESTn   /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTn
                 /dev/rtape/tape32_BESTb   /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTb
                 /dev/rtape/tape32_BESTnb   /dev/rmt/c6t0d2BESTnb

Drive 1 and Drive 4 work OK... Drive 3 and Drive 2 have extra entries in the ioscan -mdsf table which I have added above.

Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Could you upload devbra -dev and ioscan -fnNC tape output from MA server.

Sincere Regards,

Aneesh