1753388 Members
7416 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

kernel error

phan

kernel error

Recently, the following error message appeared in my message logs (see file attached).

The problem appeared after I deleted some files(over 90G) off the disk (raid structure).

A friend of mine gave me a first answer about the possible cause of the my problem, that is:
- the inode "table" may have error(s), so that I have a file (a directory or a normal file) which is not linked to by any inode.

Whatever the causes may be, can I recover from this "crash" ?

Note: I don't have the tool "fsdb" on my linux machine to debug the disks.

Please excuse me for my bad written english.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Re: kernel error

There have been a variety of problems reported related to software raid on Linux and I suspect this is just another. To put it plainly, software raid should probably not be used in a production environment at this point. Performing and fsck may help for now, but you may need to rebuild the array. The size of your files suggests that a raid solution is needed, but I would suggest that a hardware based raid solution would be the way to go (DPT controller for example). There are a variety of other productivity gains that will be seen as well.
Ovidiu D. Raita
Valued Contributor

Re: kernel error

The problem might be older. The short term soluiton is fsck. I can be due a file system bug (your file system is quite big if you deleted 90GB), bad block or RAID as Tim mentioned.

Ovidiu
Simple solutions to complex problems