New Discussion

Re: login hanging

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>no histfile

You could try setting it to a local filesystem.

>I will have to look into loading it.
You may have to put a "sleep 120" at the end of your ~/.profile so you have time to attach to your process before it hangs.

jerrym
Trusted Contributor

I'm running truss on the sshd process following forks but I dont really see anything. I can see my ctrl-c and returns but it then just sleeps.  I am using Putty, but the problem does not occur on other 11.11 or 11.23 11.31 boxes. I just don't get a prompt.

jerrym
Trusted Contributor

Holy crap! It is the .sh_history over nfs mount.  A default histfile does get created even though I am not specifying one. I saw it in the truss ouput.  I changed it to be on a local filesystem, as you suggested, and now it works.  WHY!!!!

I still don't know why it only does this on this one box??

Thanks Dennis.

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check /etc/profile.

And read 'man profile' - "If the file /etc/profile exists, it is executed by the shell for every user who logs in."

In a cold installation there will of course exists a default /etc/profile.

HTH

V.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Can you issue the command ;

3 bdf  (OR jsut in case of got stuck "bdf -l")

and post here.

also you can issue the command (when logon with root)

# echo $0

Arunabha Banerjee
Valued Contributor

Please check your DNS server entry in /etc/resolv.conf file and confirm it is working properly or not. Otherwise disable DNS in sshd_config file. Also check /var/adm/wtmp file size, may it is very big.

AB
jerrym
Trusted Contributor

Nyga, read farther back. Already isolated /etc/profile. They are the same as other servers we have.

Hakki, it is not a stale nfs.  Other users could login using same home nfs mount. Automounter Configs

are same as other servers.

Arunabha, I have seen problems with DNS in the past. But resolv.conf is the same as other servers here.

Also, I had two servers with slow login not perm hang that had 1-2 gig size wtmps files. But this is not the case

here.

This is something with writing the history file to the home dir nfs mount with this server. Other 11.11 server

is fine.

Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

the 2 common problems are:

1) dns not responding, and nswitch.conf configuring it.

2) nfs when the account is mounted over NFS, or mail directory is nfs mounted,

check dmesg

To tusc/truss rlogind you need to either configure it in inetd.conf or just tusc

inetd with options -p  -f -E -o resfile.out  pidofinetd,

then try a rlogin and give the output.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>A default histfile does get created even though I am not specifying one.

Are you sure?  I thought the default was some temp file or just memory?  What was the name?

> I changed it to be on a local filesystem, as you suggested, and now it works.  WHY!!!!

>I still don't know why it only does this on this one box?

You don't have the right patches on it?  Or there was a networking glitch?

Do you have the RPC lock demons working correctly on the client and the server?

(Perhaps your control-C works because you have your NFS mounted with INTR?)

I've had this problem over and over for more than a decade because I need a shared history file.)

>Hakki, it is not a stale nfs.  Other users could login using same home nfs mount.

>This is something with writing the history file to the home dir nfs mount with this server.

Right, it is the RPC lock demons.  Are these other users using ksh?  Are they on the same machine?

You may need the NFS guru Dave to help you.

jerrym
Trusted Contributor

The .sh_history file gets created by default.

It's the patch bundles in their ignite build that they have been using. The other box has the same.

The export is /nfshomes with no options.  Homes is  auto.direct  file with    /nfshomes unity:/nfshomes

pretty straight forward.

RPC lock daemons should be doing whatever the default is.

Any users have the same problem unless the histfile is redirected to local filesystem.

Who is Dave?