New Discussion

Re: monitoring HBA link status on Red Hat linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
vijay alur alur
Frequent Advisor

monitoring HBA link status on Red Hat linux

Hello All,

How do i monitor the HBA link status on my server running Red Hat Linux OS. On some instances, when there is a link down our storage team notifies us about one of the link to the LUN is down. There is no monitoring from our side that will generate a ticket to us. I am wondering how to monitor the HBA link down status.

Like for e.g. on HPUX would show error message in the file /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log. The same does not happens in case of Red hat linux.

Thanks,

VJ

Lead Engineer, IMS.
iGATE
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

On RHEL 5 and newer, you can find the HBA link state at /sys/class/fc_host/host<number>/port_state.

You did not specify what kind of monitoring system you're using, but it should usually be easy to make your monitoring system check that too.

The port_state pseudo-file might be available on RHEL 4 too, depending on the HBA driver manufacturer and driver version.

In RHEL 4, the /sys/class/fc_host sub-tree was very new and not all drivers implemented it the same way.

For more background information, please see this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/sys-class-fc-host-entries-missing-on-a-few-RHEL-4-and-5-systems/td-p/4827915

MK
vijay alur alur
Frequent Advisor

Hi Matti,

Thanks for the reply.

We have Red Hat Linux 5.7's and some 6.3's...

We use nimsoft and nagios to monitor and ticket gets generated.

I did come across the file you metioned /sys/class/fc_host/host0/port_state which showed Link Down. i was planning to write a cron job that would check this in a frequency. But i guess nimsoft can do this task much better. so monitoring issue should be fixed.

Also i have question about the HBA link going down. This has been happeneing for some time. now once we have monitoring set, i want to be able to reset the connection on the link down HBA so that it gets back online.

Currently whenever there is a one HBA link down, we have to ask Storage team to reset the connection to fix. We would want this to be fixed from host/OS side.

Thanks,

VJ

Lead Engineer, IMS.
iGATE
vijay alur alur
Frequent Advisor

Accepted this post as a solution and kudos given. Thanks Matti for your help always!!!
Lead Engineer, IMS.
iGATE