108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: moving remote printer definitions to new system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lynne Seamans
Regular Advisor

moving remote printer definitions to new system

We have an old application serv (hp-ux 11.0) which is being replaced with a new 11.23 Integrity server.

My question: How can a copy the definitions for all the remote printers we have defined for the application? I'm not averse to just re-creating them on the new server, BUT we do not know the IP numbers.. (they were added LONG ago).

So, is there a file somewhere that i can just copy to new machine or at least shows the ip numbers for the remote printers so i can recreate them manually?

I did find the /etc/lp/interface scripts but don't know if that helps or not.
4 REPLIES 4
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -v -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp

tar up /var/sam/lp

ftp it to new server

untar it to /var/sam/lp

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -v -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp

If you use hostnames for network based printers then make sure you /etc/hosts file is up to date.

Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Lynne,

Are these hpnp or hpnpl printer definitions?
Last year I had a similiar issue when moving from hpnp (old JetAdmin) to Jet Direct, 2000 plus printers. The process in the previous will work, but I found that if you tarred the /var/sam/lp files from the old host and untarred on the new host, changed permissions, and then did /opt/hpnpl/transferqueue ( see man pages for examples), all printers, remote and ip worked just fine.

Hope this helps,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Lynne,

Do an advance search on Printer Migrations and look for the 2007 post on printer migrations...

Chuck
"Show me the $$$$$"
Lynne Seamans
Regular Advisor

And why didn't *I* think of the word "migration" in my search.

Shheesh, i tried moving printers and copying and all kinds of stuff.

Thank you both so much for pointing me in the right direction. Got all my printers "migrated", and users will be happy :)