Operating System - HP-UX
1754170 Members
2964 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: npar w/vpar---collapsing npar's (on an 8400)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

npar w/vpar---collapsing npar's (on an 8400)

I have an rp8400 cut into 2 npars, with several vpar's on each npar.

I want to remove the npar boundry (so that I can freely allocate resources within the system without dealing with an npar boundry).

1) How do I collapse npar 1 into npar 0?

2) How do I get all of my vpar definitions merged into 1 vpar db (since I have two separate sets of vpars..one on each npar)?
(any way other than manually writing down the config on npar 1 and recreating them by hand after the npar collapse)?

thanks!

-Bob
6 REPLIES 6
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you will have to remove your vpars, and then remove the npar c onfig for the second npar.
Add in the resources to the remaining npar, and then create your vpars as required
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

Do I need to 'remove the vpars' on npar1, or just shut them down (after noting how they are defined..which I/O devices), collapse npar 1's resources into npar 0, and then bring up my existing vpar's in npar 0 and define my now missing vpar's (that were on npar 1) and then boot them (without needing any hpux installs etc).

Will this work?

I/O addresses should all be unique accross the npar's, right?

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

yes that should work fine.
Just halt the npar, remove the npar definition, add the resources to the running npar and then create the "deleted" vpars.
you may be lucky enough that you can specify the "old" boot discs and that these will work ok
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

How would luck play into it? I thought that each I/O bay in an 8400 has unique addresses, so there shouldn't be an address conflict when the npar's go back together...why wouldn't the boot disk work just fine?

Also, where's a step-by-step on how to delete npar 1 and add it's resources to npar 0?

-Bob
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

HW Paths in your vPar definition should not change.

1. Backup vPar config data and shutdown vPars on the nPar to be collapsed
2. shutdown/powerdown that nPar
3. on the other nPar.. use parmgr to merge the deleted nPar's resources. Reboot-reconfig the remaining nPar so the other resources are configured in..
4. Boot remaining nPar to VPMON.. start the existing vPars on the remaining nPar
5. Login to any vPar and configure in (add) the deleted vPars.
6. Start your previous vPars...

HTH.
Hakuna Matata.

Be carefull that you fully understand the implications of what you are doing... remember that in vPar any unbound CPU (that is a CPU that can be moved between vPars without stopping the effected partitions) is NOT capable of handling IO interrupts, and as such cannot handle IO for any of the processes in whatever vPar it happens to be in. Depending on how you change your environment, if you end up with more unbound CPUs than you currently have, you could find a reduction in performance in some of your vPars if you applications have many IO intensive processes.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo