108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ntp issues

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

ntp issues

Hi all:

Got an issue with ntp.
Got 2 10.20 systems going out to stratum 1 servers to sync time. All other systems (10.20 and 11.00) look to the stratum 2 (the 2 10.20 servers) to get the time from them. The time sync is no longer happening. I turn on logging and get the following in the syslog.log file: system event 'event restart' (0x01) status 'sync_alarm, sync_unspec, 1 event, event unspec' (0xc010).

Has been running fine for months. How can I find out why it is no longer working?
The log file entry is telling me that there is 1 event and it is unspecified. How can I find out what that event is - it may help is troubleshooting this.
2 REPLIES 2
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

HP-UX includes support for NTP network time protocol, (configurable with sam). See http://www.ntp.org./ for information on servers.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

I don't have any specific info on the error messages that your seeing, but here are some of the things that I would investigate. It appears that something has changed from a network perspective; I doubt that has anything to do with an ntp software failure (been around too long on too many machines and does not make sense otherwise to die on both your servers at the same time).

The first thing I would check out is the stratum 1 servers that your trying to sync with. Many of the organizations that have them are changing their operations around to only allow syncing with specific approval. From what I've heard they are starting to experience some load problems, and from their point of view, there are far too many people syncing with them that would be better served by stratum 2 servers.

The next place I would check is with the people that handle your firewall. These people are constantly cranking down the security here and may have inadvertantly disabled port 123 connections. Have them test a connection to your outside source servers from the firewall while they are at it.

Next is the standard network testing stuff with dns, routing, etc.