Operating System - HP-UX
1748128 Members
3970 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: only console login allowed into the hp-ux server, can not ssh or telnet into it, aby ideas?t

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Re: only console login allowed into the hp-ux server, can not ssh or telnet into it, aby ideas?t

Hi

May your root profile corrupted.Also check your firewall settings also.

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Mike755
Advisor

Good ideas on here and I'd go with creating a new user and seeing if that user can log in.

You may find out that you need to re-enable the account your having issues with.  If on 11.31 it's a lot different administrating user accounts.  Instead of using "modprpw" type commands that were simple for troubleshooting you need to use "userdbxxx" commands.

Try this for kicks to see if it helps:

From ILO logged into console as root user:

userdbset -d -u bergi auth_failures  (Assuming bergi is the username your having issues with.)

If you find no users can get in then:

It’s been a while but here are a few things to check out off top of my head.

If you don’t want to use DNS any longer then move out the /etc/nswitch.conf file so it’s not read any longer.  The default at mention is only an example so won’t work without putting in correct DNS information.  This also goes in the /etc/resolv.conf file where you could run a “nslookup” on the IP you put in there if using DNS to see if it resolves correctly.  So if using DNS both these files should be populated, if not then neither should exist and /etc/hosts will be used.

SFTP my guess is  working but not all your pc’s have the client software installed to connect?

LDAP I would bet you are not using it.  I just worked on getting it configured here on our Itanium servers and told first Fiserv client to do this (Fiserv would not assist without an engagement and we felt didn’t have the knowledge for us to pay them…I worked directly with HP).  It’s slick and way cool but extremely complex in some areas but working great so far.

If you want to just test something check out your /etc/inted.conf file.  If done correctly you should see either commented out lines and or code showing FTP/Telnet listed in here.  This is where you disable various protocols and or implement them to be available.  If you do make a change save original copy (use comments too so you have code needed to disable/enable say telnet as an example).  If you want “telnet” enable be sure it’s uncommented or it defaults to only SSH.

You will have to bounce the listener in order for the change to take effect.  They say you can use the “inetd –c” command to have the kernel updated but this command had issues a while back might be better now.  Can test it but if doesn’t re-read in the changes then bounce as shown below.  This will cut off Internet Services during that short time if bounced rather than re-read using “inted –c”.

# date

Thu Aug 29 10:17:00 EDT 2013

# ll -d /etc/inetd.conf

-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           6737 Aug 23 13:04 /etc/inetd.conf

# ps -ef | grep -i inetd | grep -v grep

root 24621     1  0 10:15:04 ?         0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -l

# inetd -c

root 24621     1  0 10:15:04 ?         0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -l

# /sbin/init.d/inetd stop

Internet Services stopped

# /sbin/init.d/inetd start

Internet Services started

root 24656     1  0 10:17:50 ?         0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -l

#

Thanks, Mike

Legalize Freedom
NavyYard
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: only console login allowed into the hp-ux server, can not ssh or telnet into it, aby ideas?

Thank you for all the replies.

I had to boot the system in single user mode so I could login, untrust the system, reset the passwords for all accounts and trusted the system again to fix the problem.

Thanks for aal the replies.