1752290 Members
4867 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

passwords in clear text

J Busch
Advisor

passwords in clear text

We use FTP to transfer files to/from a mainframe and several other UNIX/Windows boxes. The ftp server address, login and password information is stored in clear text in the ftp answer file on my server. I realize FTP is the not the most secure method of transferring files but I am stuck using ftp. Any thoughts on how I could make this more secure?

At a minimum I would like to protect the login information within the answer file to prevent anyone from viewing the information.

Any thoughts or suggestions???
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Re: passwords in clear text

Check the ftp man page for information about .netrc. That's about as secure as you're going to get with it.
--
Jeff Traigle
J Busch
Advisor

I was looking at that, but the .netrc also has the password in clear text. But if that is the best i can do then i guess we will have to live with it...
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Jim,

The only thing that I can think of is changing to SFTP. After all going with secure shell http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=T1471AA

sounds like a really good idea, fromt the security point of view.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Yes - .netrc is clear text - but only the owner and root can view it (should be 400 )... Also, during the transmission the passsword is sent un encrypted!

You would be better trying to architect a sftp solution.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Manuel Contreras
Regular Advisor

how about scp?

syntax:
scp file1 file2 files*.x user@targetBOX:~ (for user home) or :/directory/ (for specific target directory)

do a man on scp for additional info...

If you setup authorized_keys, it will take care of authenticating the connection = no password prompt.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There is no way to modify ftp to hide passwords. The protocol is decades old and any change will break compatibility. The .netrc solution is nothing but removing the password keystrokes from the keyboard. The local .netrc file is protected in the local client with 600 permissions but when ftp is used, it simply grabs the local login/password and transmits the information in clear text -- 'cause that's all ftp understands.

Security should be looked at as black and white. If the transfer must be secure, hiding the password will do nothing to protect your data transfer -- the data is still in clear text form. The only solution is SSH (with scp) where not only the login/password are encrypted but also the data. Either your data must be secure, or not secure. 'stuck with ftp' doesn't work for auditors.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
as already suggested you can use .netrc to avoid to have password in clear in the scripts. If you want to have password not in clear on you server as well this is teh solution I use:
1. I have a central password file crypted
2. I have some functions/scripts to get password from this file
3. I use them in my scripts

Pros:
. only one file with password to manage
. proven solution
. no clear password on teh system

Let me know if you are interested in this and I can provide you the scripts

HTH,
Art

J Busch
Advisor

art, sorry not getting back sooner we had a server go out on us.

Yes could i get a copy of your scripts.

Hopefully in the future i can get our suppliers away from ftp but for now that is what they want to use.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Esteemed Contributor

You can use the crypt command to encrypt your passwords.

Now use that thing to pass the input to .netrc.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal