8104 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: patches installation

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

patches installation

Hi all:

Need to put on some patches for 10.20 and 11.00. I have all the patches with dependencies resolved and all of that other good stuff. Question is, these patches require reboot and what I am hoping to do is install the patches and not reboot the systems. The reboot will happen over this weekend. How can I put on all of the patches without rebooting and still have the dependencies resolved between the patches?

Many thanks for the help!!
7 REPLIES 7
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Rick,

If you install a patch the has retuned the kernel (eg PHKL_*****), you sure would have a system reboot for the software to work.

When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

The reboot is scheduled for the weekend - Saturday 0400 hrs. I am wanting to install the patches now without the reboot and let the system reboot as scheduled. Don't want the reboot during business hours and want to see if I can have the patches installed and ready for when the reboot occurs. Plus, I really don't want to spend my time at work during the long weekend.
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

the swinstall process does a reboot automatically. there is no way to stop it.
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

Rick, I work in a production environment as well? You have two choices: 1. Work tonight (get to the office or login from home) or 2. Schedule a cron job to start before/after 4:00 am when you reboot the box. Put in the cron the swinstall line with no interactive mode. After all you can check the swinstall.log. (/var/adm/sw/swinstall.log)
I am not aware about any way that allows you to install now and reboot after a while?.
Hope this helps?..
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Been doing some research as well. Essentially, can't be done. Could do the cron job but if the swinstall chokes the system will be unusable until it accessed next to fix whatever may be wrong.

The auto_reboot=false flag will not work for patches that require a reboot. And if you were able to get away with it the system will be in an unstable state.

Damn! Looks like my weekend is cut short!

Many thanks to all!
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

YOu can execute an swmodify on the patch and turn the reboot flag off. Should be something like
swmodify -d -a auto_reboot=false PHKL_nnnnn @ /the/depot/where/patch/is

One should of course always be careful when doing this.

Rik.
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

YOu can execute an swmodify on the patch and turn the reboot flag off. Should be something like
swmodify -d -a auto_reboot=false PHKL_nnnnn @ /the/depot/where/patch/is

One should of course always be careful when doing this.

Rik.