108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

printer drivers for HP Itanium system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

printer drivers for HP Itanium system

We are in the process of switching over from a pa risc system to an hp rx6600, when some of the print jobs are being cancelled at the printer we noticed that they are starting all over again and the only way to stop them is to delete the que. Are there different printer drivers for the itanium servers and if so where can i go to get them ???
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: printer drivers for HP Itanium system

There are no drivers for HP-UX -- that is a PC concept. There are just simple scripts. Although there are many ways to conndect a printer (serial, Centronics, remote server, JetDirect), your question sounds like the printer is on the network and you have configured it using hppi (or SAM). HP-UX knows nothing about the new CANCEL button on modern printers. The program which actually talks to the printer is called hpnpf but it has not been updated for a very long time. The best solution is to use the HP-UX cancel command which will terminate the job at the system. I would also disable TRUE-EOJ and JOB-RECOVERY as these features simply do not work very well. To change this option, use the modifyqueue command as in:

modifyqueue -r off -t off -q myprinter

There are updated printer scripts for a few newer models, found at:

http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

"when some of the print jobs are being cancelled at the printer we noticed that they are starting all over again and the only way to stop them is to delete the que"

How did u cancel?Have u tried cancel or cleaning up files underr /var/spool/request/qname?

whihc make and model the printer is?How it is currently configured?what is the model script used?

Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

Bill... the modifyqueue -r off -t off -q myprinter command fixed the problem. Is there someway i can update all the printers with this command as opposed to doing one at a time ? I wasn't sure i had assigned points to this, but i don't see the option to add points ?

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

ls -1 /etc/lp/interface/|while read printer
do
mycommand $printer
done

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

A "man modifyqueue" will show you there is no option to do multiple queues (printers) with one invocation but it would be a rather simple scripting task to filter the output of "lpstat -v" to make sure that no directly attached or Remote printers are passed through and then parse the quename out and feed that to modifyqueue. A little Perl or awk is all it takes.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As mentioned, there is no global command to change all the printers, primarily because there are so many ways to connect printers. But given an all HP+JetDirect list of printers, you can just do something like this:

for MYPRN in $(lpstat -v|grep /dev/null|cut -f1 -d:|awk '{print $3}')
do
modifyqueue -r off -t off -q $MYPRN
done

Bill Hassell, sysadmin