5889 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

re : migration from rp3440 to rx2660

vinowg
Advisor

re : migration from rp3440 to rx2660

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice, I need to migrate my rp3440 from hpux 11.11 to a rx2660 running hpux 11.31 . The rp3440 has oracle database running. Can I know what are the files on os level and oracle that I need to transfer to the new rx2660 in order to get the oracle running after data transfer. Kindly help and advice???

Regards

Vincent

4 REPLIES 4
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Re: re : migration from rp3440 to rx2660

Hello Vincent,

This is a complicated task. You should ask for local help from an expert in both HP and Oracle.

You should perform a fresh install of Oracle instance and applications - your rp3440 run both app and database instance?

You should take a cold backup -usually using tar- of the database ($ORACLE_BASE/oradata) and replicate it -using scp - on the new server

There are a lot of steps to do in order to set up required users and environment for each of those; you should follow standard ORACLE installation procedure. Then you should copy the environmental settings for each user from the current system to the new system. Those settings are shell-specific so would be best if you would keep the same shell as the old installation (from the rp3440).

Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
vinowg
Advisor

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply, I understand this is a complicated task nut due to the fact that I dont have any expert with me I still have to perform the task.  basically this is what I will be doing . I will setup the rx2660 to hpux 11iv3 , than use the backup and restore method from data protector  to restore back the necessary mount point. But, I just need to know from 11i to 11iv3 what are the files I need to transfer in order to get the operating up and running for v3 .  Like etc/group , etc/passwd , and etc. Can someone advice the list of files require to be transfer ?? As for oracle is actually running on 8.1.7 can I know what are the necessary files to transfer as well ??

Regards

Vincent

Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Read the pre-installation and post-installation tasks, those contains a lot of customizations (including kernel customizations) of HP-UX

You should copy the profiles of the users running the oracle processes. Based on the used shell, the profile is stored on different files. For example, the POSIX shell and Bourne shell uses /etc/profile and ~/.profile. Those files should be copied from the old system to the new one.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

in generally, You can update to HP-UX 11i v3 from HP-UX 11i v2 (B.11.23). Updating from any other
release directly to HP-UX 11i v3 is not supported.So 11iv1 to 11iv3 is out of question.

And on the other hand from PA-RSIC to Itanium is not easy task as they are totaly different HW.

I recommend to check this doc:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02023874/c02023874.pdf