108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remsh

mercedes_1
Occasional Advisor

remsh

Hi!

i do
#remsh host 'at -f filename now' and the shell hangs.

Someone knows why???

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Fragon
Trusted Contributor

Do you config /etc/hosts.equiv or .rhosts file correctly?

-Gerald-
mercedes_1
Occasional Advisor

i think the .rhosts is ok. But i don't have the /etc/hosts.equiv...what is it for???
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does "rlogin host" work without requiring a password? If so, the .rhosts is fine.

/etc/hosts.equiv is a global version of .rhosts however it is not used for superusers. Presuming your example is run as root, /etc/hosts.equiv will be ignored. You will have to use .rhosts in root's home directory.

I can do "remsh host 'at -f filename now'" without a problem. My "filename" contents are just one line:
date

Perhaps your problem is whatever your "filename" is doing. For a simple test, change the contents of filename to just one line:
date

You should see the messages from "at" that the job was scheduled. Then check root's mail on "host" to see if it ran.

If that test is successful, check "filename". Perhaps the environment is not set correctly for "filename" to run as an at job.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Rich Wright
Trusted Contributor

Are you using a fully qualified pathname to "filename"? Perhaps it can't find it and is waiting for STDIN?
If it is hanging, I would look at the script more than remsh.
see "man 4 hosts.equiv" for info on that.
mercedes_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

The .rhosts is fine, also because remsh works with other commands as ll.

I thought the problem was the filename as well so i did a test with other file containing "echo 5.00"...but i didn't work.
The pathname is also ok...

Any other ideas??
Thanks
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

Is this problem still unsolved?

If so, try the "-n" option of remsh(1), i.e.

remsh host -n 'at -f filename now'

Also *which* "shell hangs"?