New Discussion юеВ

Re: restore printer configuration in SAM does not work

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

restore printer configuration in SAM does not work

Hello,
I have printers I need to move from one server to another, both run HPUX 11.00. I used SAM, went to save/restore printer conf and did a save. Then Tarred up /var/sam/lp and put to the other server, untarred and went to recover printer config. Also copied /etc/lp/interface. All the printers show up in the save/restore window in SAM, but in the regular printers window it indicates no printers are configured. What did I miss - it seems I did this once without any issues...
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Try it from the command line:

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -v -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp/
cp -r -p /var/sam/lp/lp.new/* /var/sam/lp/

Tar up /var/sam/lp/, transfer to 2nd server:

lpshut
/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp/
lpsched -v

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

can you explain this line?
cp -r -p /var/sam/lp/lp.new/* /var/sam/lp/

There is no /var/sam/lp/lp.new directory.

Thanks
Dave
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have found that SAM, used to backup to lp.new - but restores from lp - that's why the copy.

Now, if you don't have a lp.new - then maybe it went into lp - you can test by - moving /var/sam/lp /var/sam/lp.old - then re-run the
/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -v -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp/

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

moving lp to lp.old was what did the trick. The command then created as new lp dir which I moved to the other server and voila!
Thank you much...