5768 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

restore root password

SOLVED
Go to solution

restore root password

hi,

I got an hp 9000 712/80 workstartion, but I do not have any user nor root access details. It boots OK, but can I am not able to log in.
It runs HP-UX 10. I do have HP-UX 11.00, but it ignores any external CD-ROM that I attached.

The question is: is there any possibility to reinstall the box or to restore at least root password?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Z
10 REPLIES 10
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: restore root password

Hi Zoltan

You should be able to interrupt the boot sequence and boot to single user mode. From there you can change the root password.

Examine the boot messages and you'll see a message saying something like
"Press any key within 10 seconds to interrupt boot...."

Interrupt the boot and at PDC enter
> boot pri

Then choose 'y' (yes) to interact with ISL and from ISL prompt type:
> hpux -is

This will take you to single user mode where you can change the root password.

Cheers
Con
kamal_9
Super Advisor

hi
Interupt the normal boot bye pressing any key before 10 seconds .then it comes to pdc menu type boot pri and it will ask do you want to load ipl answer y to that then it comes to isl> prompt type hpux-is then it will boot in singel user mode nad comes to # prompt their type passwd and press enter then type the new passwd u wish to use and confirm the passwd by typing once more.
for recovering other users if you have backup of /etc/passwd just restore that one
BEST OF LUCK

Hello,

Thank you very much for fast and competent answers... but seems non of them work with my box.

There is a text: but nor excape nor any other key stop boot sequence. I tried to press during boot, tried to keep it presses for longer period (at least 10 sec.), I tired to keep it presses during power on...

Unfortunately, nothing helps... I goes through initialization, once asks for pressing enter and starts GUI.

Do you have any idea whay your suggestions do not work on my box?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Z
Tom Smith_9
Frequent Advisor

Getting the timing right for the can be difficult. Try watching for the keyboard LEDS (Num Lock, Caps Lock etc) to flash and then try pressing and holding . I have also had some luck by tapping the key very quickly, not just holding it down.

Hope this helps.
-Tom
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Zoltan --

If you continue to have problems interrupting the boot process, it may be because SECURE MODE has been turned on at the boot admin process.

To get around this, you need to disconnect your bootable disk at boot time and wait for it to time out and then it will bring you to a boot admin prompt.

Once there disable SECURE MODE and power down then re-hook your disk drive and power up. You should then be able to interrupt the boot process and boot up.

Best regards,

Kent M. Ostby
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"

Hello,

Kent's idea worked.
Thank you... with your help I succeeded to stop boot sequence and disable secure mode.

The problem is that after
>boot pri

It starts GUI (after some tests etc.)... I never come to situation to interact with ISL - as Con described.

I disabled fastboot, autoboot, but it did not help.

Regards,
Z
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I guess you have to say

bootadmin>boot pri isl

If I remember it correctly.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try

Sri,

yes...it helped.
I came to ISL prompt and I was able to enter
ISL> hpux -is

It starts boot hpux and after a second I am back at ISL prompt.

Unfortunately, I can not see any valuable command that can be used to continue boot sequence and enter single user mode.

BTW is there any online documentation about this topic, that I could read before I post such "dummy" questions.

Thank you for your pations and positive approach.

Regards,
Z
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Without researching, I can say that I usually:

hpux -is boot

and unfortunately I can't recall whether "boot" is required -- you might try it. If that doesn't work, I wonder if your "hpux" has gotten toasted.

These questions are what the forums are for. There are no "dummy" questions; we all start out with no knowledge and add knowledge over time. :) (However, the traditional reward (for Sridhar and the others who've posted excellent advice) is to award them points. See http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28 ).

Good luck,
Mic

What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?