Operating System - HP-UX
1752857 Members
3924 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

scp/sftp solutions for Windows to HP-UX?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Kratky
Frequent Advisor

scp/sftp solutions for Windows to HP-UX?

We have all of our HP-UX users/developers converted to using scp and sftp instead of ftp from UNIX to UNIX. But, they have automated FTP jobs running from Windows to HP-UX so we haven't been able to turn FTPD off.

Could anyone share their scp/sftp solution for Windows servers? Is PuTTY a good alternative or is there some reason it should be avoided on servers or for non-interactive use?

Thanks,
Doug

6 REPLIES 6
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: scp/sftp solutions for Windows to HP-UX?

The Cygwin tools are a great fit for this. It has ssh, scp, sftp, etc. It will give a Unix command line (bash, ksh, etc) with full access to ssh on your Windows box. www.cygwin.com for details.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

My vote goes for cygwin.

Nothing wrong with Putty, it works and haven't had any trouble.

cygwin I like better. Especially the part where I issue UNIX like commands on a winbloz system and it works. Also has X emulation and the ssh/scp/sftp included - all in one!

The cygwin setup is the same for making and distributing keys.

Best of all, NO MONETARY COST!

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

I have only a little bit experience with it, but it did work fine for me (going to a VMware ESX service console = Red Hat Linux).
Doug Kratky
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses.

I like Cygwin, too, and use it on PCs. But it's probably too much for servers where I'm really looking just for scp and sftp.

TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Doug, I'm pretty sure that you could load just scp and sftp only from the Cygwin installer. I can't see how that would be a problem.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

If all you care about are the scp/sftp tools, you can invoke these commands only as needed. The rest of cygwin can lie dormant and use 0% of a servers resources.