New Discussion юеВ

scsi debugging

SOLVED
Go to solution
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

scsi debugging

Hello All,

I want to enable scsi debugging for 11.31.

Can it be done globally or for a subsystem or only specific to a device?

I tried this for a disk:
-----------------------------------------------
# scsimgr set_attr -a escsi_log_dev=0xbc04b300
Value of attribute escsi_log_dev set successfully

But cannot find any messages in syslog.log.
Is this the correct way?

And what are the "escsi_dbg_lvl" levels?

Thanks in Advance..
Don't fix what ain't broke
13 REPLIES 13
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Re: scsi debugging

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance..
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

Try restarting syslog.

/sbin/init.d/syslogd stop
/sbin/init.d/syslogd start

Also why do you expect the logging to be in syslog.log? Is it perhaps in its own file?

lvl stands for level in escsi_log_lvl. Higher levels generally dictate more detail.

Careful this can get verbose.

Why do you need this data? Do you suspect a scsi problem? Inquring minds want to know.

Can it be done globally or for a subsystem or only specific to a device?

Note the dev statement.

I tried this for a disk:

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

I have gone through man page of scsimgr which says that changes like enabling/disabling scsi object will log message in syslog.
Yes we suspect scsi issues for which I was asked to do this.

1. Is there any other file also that contains debug logs?

2. Is this correct command to enable scsi logging?

3. And lastly, scsi debugging is done on device level ?

@SEP:
Once I get back to work, I will definitely try resarting syslogd.

Regds..
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

By default, the HP-UX syslog will ignore debug messages. You should adjust the /etc/syslog.conf configuration to log the debug messages (perhaps into a separate logfile), then send a kill -HUP to syslogd.

You may also want to add the "-v" option to syslogd (using /etc/rc.config.d/syslogd) and restart syslogd. This will add the facility/priority code to each log message. Being able to see the priority levels of each message will make it easier to further refine your syslog.conf configuration.

NOTE: when editing /etc/syslog.conf, remember to use TABs between message selectors and their associated log destinations, not spaces. See the man page of syslog for more information.
MK
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Thanks so far..

>>You should adjust the /etc/syslog.conf configuration to log the debug messages

Que 1: I am not sure on how to edit this file to enable the debugging. Need more help on this.

I have changed /etc/rc.config.d/syslogd from "-D" to "-D -v". Restarted syslogd. But still could NOT see any logging in syslog.

Que 2: How can I verify/test that logging is been done by system?

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

syslog logging is configured by the file /etc/syslog.conf. The /etc/rc.config.d file configures how syslogd is started and stopped.

-v turns on the facility and priority which will be useful later on. The change you need to make is in /etc/syslog.conf. Typically it looks like this:

mail.debug /var/adm/syslog/mail.log
*.info;mail.none /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
*.alert /dev/console
*.alert root
*.emerg *

In this example, only mail messages will be logged all the way down to the debug level. Temporarily, you need to change the syslog.log line from *.info to *.debug. Now before you make the change, a very, very important rule: syslog.conf must have *NO* spaces between items. Any space in this file turns the line into a comment! (as far as I know, this is the only Unix command with this bizarre rule).

Secondly: once you make the change, open an extra window to monitor the size of syslog. The debug level can cause syslog.log to grow enormously fast (many MB in a few seconds) so you may need to switch back to *.info fairly quickly.

Now to prevent excessive syslog.log growth, you can redirect the scsimgr debug messages to a different file. To do this, you must first identify scsimgr messages in syslog with debug level set. Right after the date (when syslogd is run with -v), you'll see a 2 character code like 5B or 3D. This is the syslog sorting code -- numbers = priority or importance, letters = facility or category. Use the man page for syslog to find the character codes.

To redirect scsimgr debug messages to a different file, find the facility code (letters A through X) then edit the syslog.conf file. Suppose the scsimgr facility is LOCAL6 (letter = W) then syslog.conf should look like this:

*.info;mail.none;local6.none /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
local6.debug /var/adm/scsimgr.log

This says: ignore all mail and all local6 messages for syslog.log, and send all messages for LOCAL6 to the file /var/adm/scsimgr.log file.

Now you can get the debug details without seeing a bunch of other service messages.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Almost forgot:

>How can I verify/test that logging is been done by system?

logger. This command can create a message at any priority and for any facility. Usage:

logger [-p facility.priority] "Some message"

So for LOCAL6 at a WARN level:

logger -p local6:warn "testing local6"

Then look in syslog.log (or scsimgr.log). Note also that any changes to syslog.conf must be followed by:

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

which will cause syslogd to re-reada the conf file.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Thanks a lot guys..!!

Will get back again in case I need more help.

Regds..
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,

I have changed *.info to *.debug and followed steps as said.

-Changed syslog.conf
-Made it verbose
-Restarted syslogd

BUT still I am not getting any debug messages logged into syslog.log.

Logger command is working fine.

Any suggestions....what could be the issue?

Thanks..