Operating System - HP-UX
1751786 Members
4988 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: sudo: unable to dlopen /usr/local/libexec/sudoers.so: No such file or directory.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: sudo: unable to dlopen /usr/local/libexec/sudoers.so: No such file or directory.

>I am unable to create softlink.

Do you have libz installed, that's the softlink target.

ldd probably wants it in /usr/local/lib/hpux32/.

chetan morey
Advisor

lib is already install:

swlist|grep lib
  libiconv                              1.14           libiconv

In privous post Narendra created soft link and then he resolved the issue.

Same way, I want to create link.But I am not sure for souce and destination, to create link. 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

>lib is already install:

>swlist|grep lib
 > libiconv                              1.14           libiconv

That's libiconv, not libz.

Libiconv handles character encodings and conversions between them, libz handles .gz format compression and decompression. You cannot replace one with the other. Soft links only help if a program is looking for an existing library in a wrong place: if the library is completely missing, creating a soft link to another library that has different functionality is not going to work.

The name "libz" is the name of the library file (e.g. libz.so, or with a version number like libz.so.1.2.3), but the programming project that produced it is named "zlib". So the name of a depot that contains libz.so might be either "libz" or "zlib".

MK
chetan morey
Advisor

Hi,

I installed same: zlib                                  1.2.7          zlib

Now, its showing new error,

$ /usr/local/bin/sudo su -
sudo: unable to stat /usr/local/etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> sudo: unable to stat /usr/local/etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
> sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

This means the main configuration file of sudo does not exist. You should create it.

> sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

This is apparently related to new features of sudo, maybe to LDAP-based sudo configuration? Anyway, the "policy plugin" should not be necessary for basic sudo functionality.

By the way, the use of "sudo su -" is an obsolete way to become root through sudo. "sudo -i" achieves exactly the same thing, without chaining through the "su" command.

(Old versions of sudo did not have the -i option, so "sudo su -" was used: it means "run command 'su -' as root". The "su -" part rebuilds the environment so that the session would get exactly the same environment as when logging in as root. As a side effect, sudo outputs one log message about this transition, and "su -" causes another log message, telling that root became root through sudo. In a busy system with multiple admins, this may make it harder to track who did what. In my opinion, "sudo -i" is a better way.)

To allow user "chetan" to use "sudo -i" to become root, your /usr/local/bin/sudo should contain this rule:

chetan ALL=(root) /sbin/sh

If you want to allow the obsolete "sudo su -", you could use this rule instead:

chetan ALL=(root) /usr/bin/su -

If you want to allow running any commands as any user through sudo (thus allowing each command that is run as root to be logged), you could use this rule:

chetan ALL=(ALL) ALL

This rule would allow doing things like:

$ whoami
chetan

$ sudo vi /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
<edit /etc/rc.config.d/netconf as root>

$ whoami
chetan

$ sudo -u oracle lsnrctl start
<run "lsnrctl start" as user "oracle">

(In some high-security environments, it is mandatory to use sudo like this, instead of running a shell as root.)

MK
chetan morey
Advisor

Hi All,

I copied sudoers.samle to sudoers.Also changed permision to 777

nagrst:/usr/local/etc>ll
total 32
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root       sys           2851 Mar  4 15:35 sudoers
-r--r-----   1 root       root          2849 Feb 18 15:22 sudoers.sample
nagrst:/usr/local/etc>

Also I edited /usr/local/etc/sudoers file for chetan user,

## User privilege specification
##
chetan ALL=(ALL) ALL

Now new error is coming:

sudo: /usr/local/etc/sudoers is world writable
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

Please suggest

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> sudo: /usr/local/etc/sudoers is world writable

Don't make the sudoers file world writable.

Since sudo runs as root always (it is a setuid root program), it will have no problem reading the file anyway. It checks the permissions of the sudoers file to make sure unauthorized users cannot modify it. If there are too much permissions, the sudo command will ignore the sudoers file.

The permissions should be similar to your sudoers.sample file, i.e. -r--r-----.

You should be using the "visudo" command to edit the sudoers file: it will automatically maintain the correct permissions, and will check the syntax of the sudoers file after any edits before replacing the active sudoers file with the edited version.

MK
chetan morey
Advisor

Hi All,

while using sudo it is asking for password,

Password:

As suggested,

I edited sudoers file,

nagrst:/usr/local/etc>ll
total 32
-r--------   1 root       sys           2869 Mar  5 15:01 sudoers
-r--r-----   1 root       root          2849 Feb 18 15:22 sudoers.sample
nagrst:/usr/local/etc>visudo sudoers
sh: visudo:  not found.
nagrst:/usr/local/etc>whereis visudo
visudo: /usr/local/sbin/visudo /usr/local/share/man/man1m/visudo.1m
nagrst:/usr/local/etc>/usr/local/sbin/visudo sudoers
usage: visudo [-chqsV] [-f sudoers]
nagrst:/usr/local/etc>vi sudoers

## User privilege specification
##
#root ALL=(ALL) ALL
chetan ALL=(ALL)ALL

Please suggest to avoid password.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> nagrst:/usr/local/etc>/usr/local/sbin/visudo sudoers

Try: "sudo /usr/local/sbin/visudo" without any other parameters. Or run "/usr/local/sbin/visudo" as root, without any parameters.

> Please suggest to avoid password.

Note that by default, sudo is asking for your *regular* password, not the root password. And if you run several sudo commands within a configurable time, only the first sudo command will ask for your password: the later commands will remember that a password was already asked recently, and will allow access without asking again.

If you want to allow your regular account (e.g. "chetan") to run any commands as root without requiring a password at all, the syntax would be:

chetan ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

But if you do that, make sure that your regular account has a strong password.

MK
chetan morey
Advisor

Hi All,

As per new requirement I installed

sudo-ldap                             1.8.6p7        Provide limited super-user privileges to specific users

But while switching to sudo following error is coming:

sudo: unable to dlopen /usr/local/libexec/sudoers.so: No such file or directory
sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins

refering to previous,

$ ldd /usr/local/libexec/sudoers.so

/usr/local/libexec/sudoers.so:
        libpam.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/hpux32/libpam.so.1
        Unable to find library 'libldap.so.2'.

I downloaded, LDAPUX_B.05.01_HP-UX_B.11.31_IA_PA.depot.

Is it right deport to install? its size is 152MB.