108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: swlist/swinstall has no output

SOLVED
Go to solution
Li Hao
Advisor

swlist/swinstall has no output

I have one HP UX 11.23 server which I would like to apply the Sep 2006 Quality pack patch. but when I try to run the swlist or swinstall command, it just return with no output, no error at all, I guess it was the hosts/dns lookup problem somewhere, but I just can not find what is the root cause.

I have check the /var/adm/sw/swagentd.log, it sometime shows a dns lookup error. but most of time is also don't have any error.
8 REPLIES 8
Berd
Trusted Contributor

Li,

Try swlist -l bundle

Berd
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

HI,
and welcome to the forums.
Kill then Restart your swagent:
kill -15 $(UNIX95=1 ps -C swagentd -o pid=)
/usr/sbin/swagentd -r

Correct any network problems.
Check /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf and others.
Ensure you are pointing to a correct software location.

Use SAM
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi (again),
forgot to add the test:
swlist -R

Please also read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33 on how to reward any useful answers given to your questions.

Li Hao
Advisor

I have clean up /etc/hosts file, I can look up my host name correctly, verified using ping.

try to stop the swagentd using /sbin/init.d/swagentd stop, then start it again, same result, no output, just return.

I try to kill the swagentd pid, then restart using /usr/sbin/swagentd -r, same result.

all command swlist -l bundle, or swlist -R or swlist, swinstall has no ouput. using SAM to check installed software also just fresh the screen with no result.

nsswitch.conf point to DNS as first, /etc/hosts as secondary.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
thanks for the feedback.
Can you please check the /var/adm/sw/products directory for products/patches etc.

Especially the index file
ll /var/adm/sw/products | grep -i index

Ensure you are running:
/usr/sbin/swlist

our nsswitch.conf:
# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue] dns [NOTFOUND=return UNAVAIL=continue TRYAGAIN=return]

As long as you have a continue if the dns is not found.
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor
Solution

Since commands are returning no output can you verify that their size is not zero?

# ll /usr/sbin/sw*

Most of the SD-UX commands (swlist, swinstall) are hard linked to each other and setuid to root.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Make sure your nsswitch.conf file has the hosts line looking at files first, then DNS (as mentioned above). Verify that your resolver is looking at the /etc/hosts file first with this command:

nsquery hosts $(hostname)

Then, did a well-meaning root user 'cleanup' the /var directory by removing some /var/adm/sw directories? If so, your system is damaged and the missing directories must be restored from your backup.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Li Hao
Advisor

It turn out the /usr/sbin/sw* files are size 0. the files are somehow damaged during my last install of a package. I restored the file from another server, now it works.