108795 Solutions
New Discussion

time for mediainit

SOLVED
Go to solution
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

time for mediainit

Good morning, has anybody got any experience of times for a mediainit on a 73gb FCAL drive in an FC10. I started yesterday morning at 0900 local and at 0900 local this morning it is still running
malvin

p.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP-UX > sysadmin. - Hp forum Moderator

Not me Chief, I'm Radar
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: time for mediainit

Why do you need mediainit'ing this drive? Invalid sector size? Are you sure that it's mediainiting - look at drive's activity led.
I would not do what you did without absolute necessity
Eugeny
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eugeny, I had a power fail in the middle of trying to do a mkfs and when i restarted the system it would not let me write to the drive so I thought that I would do a format.
The lights on the disc are still flashing away. What now?
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Which error messages were displayed? Did you check 'ioscan -fn' and 'diskinfo -v' for this disk to see if it's CLAIMED and displays correct info?
Now I think the best way is to 'officialy' open case with HP. If mediainit still works then I would not take responsibility to ask you to stop it because then 99% that disk will be dead
Eugeny
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eugeny
thanks for the quick response, the discs are claimed ok and I cannot do a diskinfo because "the device is busy". if I check the ps then it still says it is doing the mediainit. As you say I don't want to stop it yet
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Eugeny
I finally killed the mediainit after 30 hours and did a diskinfo and they have 0 bytes. Is it possible to recover the disc to a useable state?
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

The only I can propose is to use Command View for disk systems and try to reformat disk with 512 bytes per sector (there's a command to do it). If it will not help - replace disk
Eugeny
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning Eugeny, I have never heard of Command View, where do I find it please?
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

You can find documentation for CV for disk systems at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179111&taskId=115&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=64112 . All information you need is in there.
Unfortunately I do not know how to obtain the software. Better call your local HP support office
Eugeny
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eugeny,
thanks for all the help, it looks like that Command View is a licensed product, so I cannot see that being purchased for me,looks like it might be cheaper to invest in a ups.
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar