Operating System - HP-UX
1752767 Members
5496 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: trusted/untrusted system question(s)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

> Do I have to download and install the software first, yes or no.

Answer is no. There is a file /etc/security.dsc by default and /var/adm/userdb is the SMSE database instead of the /tcb structure. These files are always present in v3. No conversion is required. And security attributes can be assigned per user. For example login access can be put as 10 - 4 for user1 and 9-5 for user2.

Yes, SMSE is an attempted "replacement" for trusted. Trusted system is very mucb the same on v3 as it was on v2. The tsconvert command works fine.

There are four modes on user accounts for v3.

1)passwd mode
2)shadow mode
3)trusted system
4)SMSE

You can use any of these modes. /etc/default/security is a global file that is applicable to all users. SMSE can be configured per user.

Let me give you a straightforward answer then, use the command tsconvert as you used it on v2 and make use of the /tcb database as you are comfortable with. pwconv populates /etc/shadow . A pwuncov makes this file non existent. To convert to trusted, do not be in shadow mode. Check it by executing a cat /etc/shadow, you should get "no such file or directory". Use tsconvert, convert to trusted system since you don't seem to like the new files /etc/security.dsc and /var/adm/userdb and if you are not interested in NIS or LDAP, then that's good enough. :)

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
john guardian
Super Advisor

Thx to all for replies.

Manix (assume the name has something to do w/the detective series, just spelled differently), when referncing to read a doc, pls remember to include the link.

BTW, for any/all replies that vector me to another thread with old/broken links that point to the "new and NOT-so-improved" BSC doc site, I (will generally) always assign a 0 for points. Not being mean, just assigning points based on the usefulness of old threads with broken links. Pls don't reference threads with bad info trails. HP as a "service" organization has failed miserably at this due to not creating link redirects, IMHO.