3819 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to see other volume group after reinstalling the OS on local disk

ladoo_1
Frequent Advisor

unable to see other volume group after reinstalling the OS on local disk

HI ALL,

I lost an internal root drive I replaced the drive and reinstall the OS there is an External disk pack attached to this machine hpux 11.11 I am unable to see my other volume groups that are on the external disk array. What do I need to do to see the all other volume groups that is attached on an external disk array and was working fine .your help is greatly appreciated ThanksтАж
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The easiest is to run SAM, go to the disks/filesystems section, select volume groups. Then choose the Actions pulldown menu and pick the Import section. It will search for unactivated volume groups. Choose the different volume groups and give them names. NOTE: the original names (vg01, vg02, etc) are not stored on the disks so if you kept a paper copy of vgdisplay -v, you can give them the correct names.

You can also use the vgimport command but ideally you would have kept the mapfiles someplace safe so you can import them.

You may want to consider Mirror/UX as a mandatory tool for running your system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Bill said it all, I would just like to add that after fixing your issues I sggest to create and Image of your root drive using IGNITE for any future problems like this one.

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
ladoo_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply...
I had run the vgimport command as below
vgimport -v /dev/old_volume /dev/c#/t#/d#
There were seven drives that were in the volume group...and to activate i run
vgchange -a y /dev/old_volume and I recreated all the mount points now what happen is all the mount point are the same size what did I did incorrectly ..How can I correct this please help...

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Are the lvols supposed to be different sizes? If they are all the same size, you'll have to mount each one and examine the contents to determine what mountpoint they require.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin