Go to solution
Cedric_8
Advisor

upgrade from 11.00 to 11i with Ignite-UX

Hello,

I have a vocalize workstation without CDROM:
decaso:root> uname -a
HP-UX decaso B.11.00 A 9000/785 2015587968 two-user license

I have HP-UX 11.11 bootable installation CDROM. I have plugged an external SCSI DVDROM reader. I can see it with ioscan and I'm able to mount it and read the CD content so I assume the scsi ID is correct and the DVDROM is working ok.
When I reboot in manual mode and type SEARCH, the workstation doesn't see the external drive, it only sees the internal hard drive so I can't boot on the CDROM. I've seen in forums that I could setup an ignite-ux server as a workaround.
So here are my 2 cents questions:

1. Is there something I can check to understand why I can't boot on an external CD drive ?
2. How can I make ignite-ux server to use the installation CDROM as "golden image" ?

Thanks in advance :)
Cedric.
3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: upgrade from 11.00 to 11i with Ignite-UX

Cedric,

Ignite servers contain images of existing installations, not source media like the Install CD, so your best bet is going to be getting the external CD drive recognized. If you try SEA IPL, do you see anything different? Can you post your ioscan output?

Pete

Pete
Cedric_8
Advisor

Thanks for that incredibly quick answer !

SEA IPL gave much better results. It sees the DVDROM now and I can issue "boot p0" now.

Thanks for your help :)

Just for my curiosity, isn't it possible to make a ignite-ux image from the install CD ?

Thanks again,
Cedric.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Cedric,

If I understand the Ignite process correctly, you would need to install the Install CD first, then make an Ignite image of the newly installed server. I could well be wrong - I've just never heard of it being done directly from the CD.

Pete

Pete