1752802 Members
5490 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vxdiskadd problem

Zenith Tang
Occasional Contributor

vxdiskadd problem

I have created a LUN from the HP StorageWorks with VA7100 in HP-UX. Then I typed the command insf -H to create the device file. It is also successful.

However, when I want to add the disk to Veritas Volume Manager by typing "vxdiskadd c7t2d7", it gives the following errors:

# No matching disks were returned.

I have also tried to use "vxdisksetup -i c7t2d7" to initialize the disk to veritas volume manager, it prompts the error as below:

# vxvm:vxdisk: ERROR: Device c7t2d7: Not in the configuration

For more information, I was able to create a LVM disk by typing "pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c7t2d7".

Also, I have also tried to format it by typing "mkfs -F vxfs /dev/rdsk/c7t2d7" and mount it to another diretory.

Please advise how to solve it. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try to use the vxdiskadm menu, option 1 to "Add or initialize one or more disks"

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you done the followinf:

# ioscan -fn
# insf -e
# vxdctl enable

And check with vxdisk list if the disk is available.

Regards

Darrel
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

I agree with Robert.
Use vxdiskadm
Then use the list option
type all [ to list all devices seen by veritas VM ]
If you can see the disk then use option 1 [ Add or initialize one or more disks]
and proceed.

Regards,
Ninad
Zenith Tang
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I was able to do vxdiskadd after I executed "vxdctl enable". Thanks for Louis and all recommendation.
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Zenith,

If the Solution provided is working it's better to asign points and close the thread

GoodLuck

Darrel
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Zenith,

If the Solution provided is working it's better to asign points and close the thread

So that other members can use the info provided to solve if they encounter the same problem you've been experiencing.

GoodLuck

Darrel
Zenith Tang
Occasional Contributor

I can run vxdiskadd after I executed "vxdctl enable". This command is used to inform veritas volume manager to scan and recognize if there are new disk installed.