New Discussion юеВ

Re: what is diagmond

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Brain or Yong Ji
Occasional Advisor

what is diagmond

hello,

most of my CPU on server (a K250, OS10.20)
is used up by a process run by root called diagmond. What is this? What's starts it? and what can I do to either stop it or reduce it's CPU percentage.

I'm scared to kill it when I don't know what it is, but my server is having memory problems now as well.
I'm spinning around
5 REPLIES 5
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

the diagmond keeps track of the system hardware configuration.
Have a look at the man page (man diagmond)
There is a complete description.

The diagmond is started at boot time by
/sbin/init.d/diagnostics
You can disable diagnostics when you set
DIAGNOSTICS=0 in the /etc/rc.config.d/diagnostics file.
To stop diagnostics (i think it's not a good idea because hardware problems are not recognized) type:
/sbin/init.d/diagnostics stop

Greetings

Andrew
Andrew Brain or Yong Ji
Occasional Advisor

Thank you,

It's our only server with diagnostics installed. I'll leave it be and not worry about it now.
I'm spinning around
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

May I suggest you investigate installing patch PHSS_20006, the diagnostics cumulative patch fopr 10.20 S800.
item 2 shows: Excessive CPU useage by diagmond

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Warringah,

The diagmond is nothing scary, but when it pulls to much CPU resources you should keep an eye on it. How much CPU time pulls the daemon? And which diagnostics version is installed? You get the version by starting the diagnostic user interface. One way is to type cstm from the command prompt. The version is something like A.xx.xx
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

It is better to have diagmon daemon running. Stop diagnostics daemon (/sbin.init.d/diagnostic stop)
Edit the file "/var/stm/config/sys/diagmond.cfg" by putting a hash before the line: "CHK_IOSCAN_TIME 360".
Restart diagnostics daemon (/sbin/init.d/diagnostics start)

Cheers
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.