Operating System - HP-UX
1753844 Members
7399 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

what is file automatic to check mount and filesystem?

restrospec
Contributor

I think thant it may be fstab but I read some book. it says sbtab. this book make me so confuse. please suggest me.
3 REPLIES 3
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: what is file automatic to check mount and filesystem?

fstab is the file that has the option for fsck. sbtab lists the locations of superblocks on file sysytems.

# man fstab and read about the pass number.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what your post is regarding so I'll take a stab at it. The /etc/fstab is a static maintained by the site sysadmin that contains a list of mountable filesystem entries. The sbtab file resides in /var/adm and lists locations of the superblocks for the created file system. See the mkfs_hfs(1) man page for details as it is relevant only to HFS and not for any other filesystem.
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

That is fstab for sure...

sbtab contains the superblock entries and it is used in case superblock is corrupt and this is valid for HFS filesystems only.

Moreover If coorupted superblock details to be restored using sbtab then fsck has to be executed manually with -b option.

read man fsck_hfs and fstab for more details

Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial