New Discussion юеВ

Re: BRK_NON from $show cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joslovevms
Advisor

BRK_NON from $show cluster

Hi All,

Im gonna shutdown a node from cluster for few months and will boot only after 6 to 8 month.

In the mean while I dont need the Brk_non displayed for that node in my sho cluster display.

i used remove_node in shutdown.com so that the cluster will recalculate the quorum. Still the status show Brk_Non for that system.

How to get rid of that please?

3 REPLIES 3
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

The only way to remove the node from SHOW CLUSTER is to reboot all surviving nodes. That's the way the data structures work.

I think you would even have to have to whole cluster down, rather than sequential reboots. Once a node is known to the cluster, it will remain known.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

VMS clustering is static and comparatively primitive (you have to reboot the whole cluster to clear the device and host data associated with offline or removed members) and its user displays are cryptic (why "BRK_NON" and not "Offline" or such?), and, well, that's just the way it is.  There is no good way to free and unwind all the host-associated stuff within the current operating system design, so it stays until reboot. 

Put another way, roll your own SHOW CLUSTER analog with some DCL or such and that doesn't display the BRK_NON hosts or (better) the expected BRK_NON hosts, or, well, Just Deal With It.

Joslovevms
Advisor

Many thanks for your inputs John and Hoff