108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

Backup Issues

We are getting the attached errors on our backups can anyone tell me what they mean?

Thanks in advance.

40 REPLIES 40
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Backup Issues

Hi,

I assume you're talking about the following error:

%BACKUP-F-PROCINDEX, error processing index file on DISK$DEVSCRATCH1:, RVN 1
-SYSTEM-F-VOLINV, volume is not software enabled

Backup seemed to have a problem reading INDEXF.SYS of the disk DISK$DEVSCRATCH1.

VOLINV indicates that the 'volume valid bit' is not set for that disk. Please check the status of that disk as seen from the node running your backup procedure:

$ SHOW DEVICE DISK$DEVSCRATCH1

If this error is intermittend, include the SHOW DEV command in your backup procedure.

Any errors on that disk ? Any mount-verification messages regarding this disk ?

Volker.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

odwillia,

I agree with Volker. I would highly recommend checking the error log for errors on this device.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

For the device status I received the following message MntVerifyTimeout. What are the steps needed to fix this. I do not know much about VMS.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

MntVerifyTimeout

The path to the device has been lost for more than MVTIMEOUT seconds (typically 1 hour). The disk may have failed and may be broken.

Check whether there are any files open on that disk. Does SHOW DEV DISK$DEVSCRATCH1 show a transaction count greater than 1 in the Trans Count column ?

If TransCount=1, try $ DISM/ABORT DISK$DEVSCRATCH1

Then try to mount the disk again with:

$ MOUNT/SYSTEM/NOASSIST disk-name DEVSCRATCH1

Be prepared for the mount to fail, if the disk has gone bad.

Volker.
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

I guess the disk is bad since I was not able to remount it after I dismount it. I kept on getting MOUNT-F-IVDEVNAM, invalid device name. Any other suggestions?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Please show the full command used to mount the disk. 'Invalid device name' seems to imply, that you somehow mistyped the name of the disk device !

Volker.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

odwillia,

It can be dangerous to diagnose problems like this over the phone. There are many possible causes, from a failed disk at one extreme to something as simple as loose cable at the other end of the range.

If there are no obvious problems (e.g., flashing red lights), I would recommend getting experienced assistance. I have seen many easily recoverable situations become far worse when incorrect action is taken.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

OK, so it was a typo. Once I run the mount command it ask for the _label: The label should be the name uder volume label right? and what should the log name be?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Search through your startup procedures for the actual MOUNT command used during startup.

Try $ SEARCH SYS$STARTUP:*.COM MOUNT,DEVSCRATCH1/MATCH=AND

Then use the mount command found.

The label should be DEVSCRATCH1, whether there had been an additional logical name (this is optional), I don't know.

If there had been a logical, you may be able to find it via:

$ PIPE SHOW LOG * | SEARCH SYS$PIPE

Use the phyiscal disk name (e.g. DKA200:).

OpenVMS has an extensive HELP system built in. If you see an OpenVMS error message (like SYSTEM-F-VOLINV), you always obtain help for this error message with:

$ HELP/MESSAGE VOLINV

Hope this helps ;-)

Volker.