New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot shutdown while connected to XDMCP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Cannot shutdown while connected to XDMCP

Hi,

I am connected to my alpha VMS server running V7.3-1 and TCPIP V5.3 using XDMCP protocol (i.e. on my PC I am running excursion and get the CDE of VMS via XDMCP protocol ). The problem is I am not able to shutdown VMS machine from my PC . When I give shutdown command , the shutdown process initiated, but after disabling XDM , the system stops shutting down. Hence, I have to go back to console and shutdown from there. Any idea how can I shutdown the VMS machine from my PC. Through telnet/rlogin session I can do that, but want to know why not through XDMCP.

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

See REBOOT.COM at http://dcl.openvms.org/
or parahaps use SYSMAN SHUTDOWN NODE

You can have the same problem with a telnet or Rlogin session as well. This is why we tell all of our system managers to use the console to shutdown/reboot the system. Plus, by using the console, you can see some boot time problems that you miss if you are not on the console.
VMS SAN mechanic
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

And to use the console remotely there are products around like e.g. consoleworks from TDI.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

I highly recommend ConsoleWorks. In combination with VPN tunneling software, I can securely access my consoles (Alpha servers, HSG's... Etc) from anywhere that I can get internet access.

No reason not to use the console port to shutdown the systems.
VMS SAN mechanic
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi everybody,

Reboot.com worked !! ( need to do slight modification, as i need to shutdown only, not reboot ).

Anyway, I can shutdown via telnet session straigh off. My console is only few meters away from my workstation, so not really want any console software.

Thanks all for your help,
Best regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Alex  Daniels
Frequent Advisor

Even if you dont want to buy console management software, it may be worth investing in a terminal server and setting up telnet listener ports on the terminal server.

That way if you need to access the consoles remotely from home you still can. This can save a journey into work a 4am.

As for console management software I recomend both RoboCentral and PCM (or whatever CA are calling it this week).