1748151 Members
3368 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

How to change / set SMTP relay ?

Paul Goslin
Advisor

How to change / set SMTP relay ?

Our Mail admins have setup new mail-servers and now we need to update our outging mail relays on some VMS machines (2 alphas and 1 Itanium)... Can't get tcpip mail config to change the MX record or route mail via the new relays ??

Nothing I've done seems to make any difference - mail log keep showing:

Local part : TCPIP$SMTP
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for address@domain.com

How to resolve ??

Thanks...

4 REPLIES 4
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change / set SMTP relay ?

It may depend on the version of what I'm assuming is TCP/IP Services.  Look for the file called SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$SMTP]TCPIP$SMTP.CONF and see if you have any entries in there for Alternate-Gateway and General-Gateway.   I think I remember fumbling around trying to do what you're doing using TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SMTP and my changes never took effect until I added entries in that configuration file and restarted the service.  What was originally a pretty coherent interface has had things like this configuration file tacked on in recent years.

Paul Goslin
Advisor

there was no tcpip$smtp.config file in that directory - only a smtp_config.template file...

I coped it to create a tcpip$smtp.config file - how should I put the mail relays into it ?? what's the syntax ?

Thanks again..

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

My entries look like:

Alternate-Gateway        : smtp2.somedomain.com
General-Gateway          : smtp1.somedomain.com

And you'll want the file extension to be .conf, not .config.  There should be in the template commented out lines similar to the above that you can uncomment.

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

And for the archives, the only documentation for the configuration I've ever seen is the very short mention in the release notes for TCP/IP Services 5.7:

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64os/network/tcpip57eco2/tcprn/tcp_rnpro_001.html#smtp_ascii

No rationale is given there for breaking the existing interface.