108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Initial Install of OpenVMS 8.4 on Integrity Blades problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
JustinDoss
Advisor

Initial Install of OpenVMS 8.4 on Integrity Blades problem

It seems to install just fine when I don't register licenses.  Once I register the BOE license and do a reboot or if I do the license registering during the install and reboot it get stuck at the very beginning of "The OpenVMS system is now executing the site-specific startup commands" pauses for about 30 seconds then auto reboots my server.

Additional Info:  I did a boot with the -flag 0,30000 and found this right before it Auto-reboots

%GHDRIVER-I-SCREEN_MODE_FDT, MODE is 8 - call SetVideoMode

-Set done status 1, enable video

- Exit Set Screen Mode FDT

------ Then it randomly reboots.

5 REPLIES 5
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Change your boot flags (think you said 0,30000) to either 0,30001 or 0,1 (to turn off "verbose").  You'll get a SYSBOOT> prompt.  Enter SHOW WINDOWING_SYSTEM.  If non-zero then you might be starting DECwindows unnecessarily and your system may be trying to AUTOGEN to accomodate a graphics display that isn't there.  But, actually, it would be much more help if you could include more of a non-verbose boot so we could see what else is happening when the system reboots automatically.  There's a relatively "normal" set of messages that are expected and it sounds like your installation is pretty "out of the box" right now (doesn't seem like you've had the chance to make many changes, install products or customize much).

bob

Please, can you post the following information ?

1- the model and the hw configuration of your integrity server

2- OpenVMS I64 kit you are using to install the OS (ie : V8.4 or V8.4UPD5 or V84UPD7 or V8.4UPD9 or V84UPD10 )

3- OpenVMS patches that you applied

Regards,

/Maurizio

[ I am a HPE Employee and an OpenVMS Ambassador ]
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Use OpenVMS I64 V8.4 UPDATE 5.0 or later.   Nothing earlier.

I've had serious problems with i2-class gear on the unremastered V8.4 and with the older updates — crashes, etc — and most recently a configuration where I64VMS$PCSI_INSTALL_MIN.COM was generating a bad kit and crashing on boot.   Various problems with V8.4 in general, too — stay with at least UPDATE V5, and preferably more recent.

If the box is sort-of booting, then use startup logging and not the console display — send stuff to STARTUP.LOG via the STARTUP_P2 parameter (to "DP"), and  having been staring at verbose boots over the last few days, I64 generates an absolute blizzard of data for 0,30000.   If STARTUP.LOG doesn't show what's going on and you do use that boot flag, then start with 0,10000 or (for a conversational) 0,10001, which generates somewhat less of a blizzard of output than 30000.

Make sure your EFI console is going to the management port via conconfig, too.

edit / ps: the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter doesn't work anymore.   Some clever bloke decided that parameter should be ignored a while back, so there are now logical names to manage DECwindows.

JustinDoss
Advisor

@Hoff wrote:

edit / ps: the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter doesn't work anymore.   Some clever bloke decided that parameter should be ignored a while back, so there are now logical names to manage DECwindows.

This part did the trick.  Only problem now is with my limited knowledge of OpenVMS I can't figure out how to make it permanently disabled so I am just going to reinstall without it.  I shouldn't need it and if it is determined I do I can always install it later.  Thanks!

Hoff
Honored Contributor

@JustinDoss wrote:

@Hoff wrote:

This part did the trick.  Only problem now is with my limited knowledge of OpenVMS I can't figure out how to make it permanently disabled so I am just going to reinstall without it.  I shouldn't need it and if it is determined I do I can always install it later.  Thanks!

The logical names usually get defined in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM — follow that link for additional details, and maybe run a few DuckDuckGo searches for OpenVMS and/or the DECwindows logical names for the official documentation.