108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory dump agan.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darijo
Frequent Advisor

>>>The command to get at the ECU on the box is >>> runecu, but there's usually some configuration details around bringing an EISA board on-line.

I got to ECU through >>>arc(BIOS), inserted ECU floppy and loaded generic ISA adapter config. file...forcing me to manually setup ISA fibre optic adapter settings (DMA channelss, IRQ and I/O ports).
Ok, I know I can use any "free" IRQ....

Now I tried get these settings form the working machine with working KPA driver through <$ana/sys> using command ...and I'm not sure where to get it....
That's why I have attached output file here so that you guy can help me out.

Darijo
Frequent Advisor

>>>I would have expected the adapter vendor to have supplied installation and configuration instructions and possibly even a config file on diskette to use with the ECU.

That is the problem...
But *.cfg files for ECU are pretty simple plain text files containing information for HW resources.

Today we had a meeting in our firm.....they were waiting wether I can find solution or not....if not we are buying 5/500 Alphas for 35 000 euros each, and we need at least 3 of them for reserves! Since we have 3 sorting centers and in each of them we have 5 Alphas.
It's a tragedy, but if I can make that stupid driver running a lot of cash will be saved.
Darijo
Frequent Advisor

I found this in file on working machine with working driver:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Configuration Command Sets for ISA PKP-Interface card
; -----------------------------------------------------
;
; To indicate that the PKP Card is plugged into slot 3,
; using IRQ 10, I/O ports 300-30F, and memory buffer D0000-DFFFF, enter
; the following into this file:
;
[KPA0]
NAME=KP
DRIVER=SYS$KPDRIVER
NODE=3
IRQ=A
PORT=(30C:4) ; 4 bytes starting at 30C
MEM=(D0000:2000) ; 8Kbytes starting at D0000
;
[KPA1]
NAME=KP
DRIVER=SYS$KPDRIVER
NODE=3
IRQ=A
PORT=(30C:4) ; 4 bytes starting at 30C
MEM=(D0000:2000) ; 8Kbytes starting at D0000
lines 244-266/266 (END)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, how come there are two KPA devices....and which resources should I setup for ISA config?
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Is there any small chance that you still have the ISA config files, possibly on a floppy disk, from the original configuration ? If so, comparing the relevant content to the sys$manager:isa_config.dat file you found may well be instructive.
Alternatively, does the console mode (>>> show config) report anything at all useful about the ISA devices on a working machine?
JT:
Darijo
Frequent Advisor

>>> Is there any small chance that you still have the ISA config files, possibly on a floppy disk, from the original configuration ? If so, comparing the relevant content to the sys$manager:isa_config.dat file you found may well be instructive.
--------------
Unfortunately I don't have any cfg. file on any floppy disk for fiber adapter. But ECU floppy disk does contain some DEC FDDI cfg. files...which I think are not much of the use...

>>>Alternatively, does the console mode (>>> show config) report anything at all useful about the ISA devices on a working machine?
---------------
If I remember clearly....no...oh wait...I got the output on my laptop(I'm home)...file is attached!
By the way, how can I find out what is the particular number of each EISA slot on the board?
During the ECU session, when I load the generic cfg file for ISA adapter I must select on which slot on EISA bus is the device attached to. I have 7 slots offered.
I tried to look on the board it self, but all slots including the ones on the PCI buses 0 and 2 are marked in order like this 'J#' where '#' is the number of slot.
So right after PCI slot J5 comes EISA slot J6...

John Travell
Valued Contributor

Hmm... Your ">>> show config" does not report anthing that matches the extract from sys$manager:isa_config.dat that you showed us.
Take a close look at
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6017/6017pro_027.html
it's for V7.3, so much later than the version you are running, but it is the oldest version I can find on the HP site.
From that document, if you can get into the isacfg utility, do: >>>isacfg -all

note also the comment:
"NODE = n
Use -slot in the ISACFG utility. The slot number (n) does not represent the slot in which the device resides. It is a logical, not a physical number. However, the number must be between 1 and the maximum number of slots on the machine. Slot number 0 is not available to users."

Have you tried adding a [KPA0] & [KPA1] section to the copy of isa_config.dat on the new machine?

The real problem is that you are dabbling in an area most of us forgot about years ago...:-)

Hopefully it will soon be time to start allocating points...
JT: