3482 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Offline Command mode for "SMARTARRAY 6404A/256 FOR ALPHASERVERS"

Joslovevms
Advisor

Offline Command mode for "SMARTARRAY 6404A/256 FOR ALPHASERVERS"

Hi,

I'm about to configure a "SMARTARRAY 6404A/256 FOR ALPHASERVERS" from scratch, from a remote location.

I will be connecting to the console where I will be getting the SRM console via telnet with the help of a Dec server.

When I have gone through the installation and configuration manual for this "SMARTARRAY 6404A/256 controlled card". It shows me only the option available in graphics mode with menus.

Is there a way to configure the disks on this controller offline, i.e. when the operating system is no up using command mode.

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Re: Offline Command mode for "SMARTARRAY 6404A/256 FOR ALPHASERVERS"

There'S a good description of how to configure SmartArray Controllers from Alpha's SRM Console at Hoffman Labs

HTH,

Martin 

Joslovevms
Advisor

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

I had a look at it and even in that its mentioned as below

(This command does not function when the SRM console is set to serial. You must have the SRM CONSOLE environment variable set to GRAPHICS and not SERIAL, and you must be on the graphics console.)

Since my console is via Dec server serial port, I will not be able to do this.

Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Hi

sorry, I didn't see that paragraph. However, I seem to remember I once configured a SmartArray controller using that method with only a serial console (that's where the table about mappings of PC vs. VT keyboard gets into the picture) . Anyway, you can also use MSA$UTIL when booted from an installation CD to set up the logical units. Hoff also has an article on that

HTH,

Martin 

Joslovevms
Advisor

Many thanks Martin