1753311 Members
6519 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/SHARE=ADDRESS

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

/SHARE=ADDRESS

1) Is there any reason why I shouldn't install all programs with this option ? T.i. also the underlying shareable images.

2) install list shows "sharAddr" for an image. Regardless of /share or /share=add is used. Why ?

Wim
Wim
5 REPLIES 5
x2084
Trusted Contributor

Re: /SHARE=ADDRESS

ad 1)
There are at least two reasons. First, as said in another thread, if there is a relocation to be applied to a section, which can not be mapped at installation time (for example a writable process section), then the image can not be installed with shared address data.

Please note, to install an image with shared address data, you need to have all other shareable images it depends on being installed with shared address data.

Second, resources. The shareable images are mapped into P1 VA space. There is very likely not enough P1 VA space for all shareable images and you certainly don't want to use up P1 space for rarely used shareable images. You also need VMS global sections for installing.

ad 2)
This is not (or should not be) the case. If this shows, it is a bug. There is no known bug in this area.

Which version of VMS, which platform, can you show this with a sequence of add/share=addr, remove and add/share (or vice versa)?

Please note if you have an image installed with shared addresses and you do a replace/share, shared addresses are kept as is. You either need to remove the image or ask for replace/share=noaddr.

Hartmut Becker
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

To be clear : I din't mean to install all images but all sharable images.

I retested 2) and now it works. The difference is that I used install replace the first time. And then the image keeps sharaddr whatever you specify. Remove the image first and than it works fine.

VMS 7.3 not fully patched.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

On the other hand : I find installed images that indicate shardaddr. Sure that no commands were done after install /wri/open/head/sha xxx

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I now see a difference. I installed isql with /share=add and once with /share=noadd.

The install list/fu both times said "SharAddr". But with /share=add there was 1 more "global section count".

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

And "resident section count" is on 0000. This line is not present when noadd is used.

Wim
Wim