Operating System - OpenVMS
1752785 Members
6131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VMS Mount to Windows NFS export - can't TYPE or COPY files from Windows export to VMS

John S. Haro
Occasional Visitor

VMS Mount to Windows NFS export - can't TYPE or COPY files from Windows export to VMS

Mounting a VMS device to Windows NFS export ( via OpenText/Hummingbirg NFS Server )

$ tcpip mount dnsf5: /host=WINDOWS_SERVER /path="/C/TEST" /structure=5 / nowrite /server_type=unix /system /noadf

I can DIR the directories and files on the dnsf5: mount, but I cannot TYPE or COPY files.

Have tried /noadf and /adf

Anyone run into this before?, or have a basic guideline for mounting an NFS export to VMS ? 

I have the supported versions of VMS and TCPIP, and the latest NFS Server 14-SP10 version + patches from OpenText ( Hummingbird ).

I don't think security is an issue, as I can do DIRs.

I think it is some sort of ADF issue - which I do not understand.

I only need to READ the files into VMS.

-John, Seattle

3 REPLIES 3
John S. Haro
Occasional Visitor

Re: VMS Mount to Windows NFS export - can't TYPE or COPY files from Windows export to VMS

I just verified I can TYPE and COPY on a system with TCIP V5.7 running on OpenVMS V8.4

It does not work on a system with TCIP V5.4 running on OpenVMS V7.3-1

I will research/test if I can update to TCPIP V5.7 on the OpenVMS V7.3-1 system and keep you posted.

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Realize that V7.3-1 is not a "supported" version. Also, V5.4 is old. You may have better luck using the V8.4 system to get the file and DECnet to get it over to the V7.3-1 system.

Dan
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I can DIR the directories and files [...]

DIRE /FULL results might be interesting.

> [...] I cannot TYPE or COPY files.

"I cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual commands with their actual output can be more helpful
than vague descriptions or interpretations.

> Have tried /noadf and /adf

As I read the HELP, this affects how a VMS client creates files on a
remote server.  Are you creating files from the VMS side, or working
with existing files on the Windows server?

> I only need to READ the files into VMS.

I don't know what that means.  DCL READ?