1753490 Members
5057 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cd-rom

Rosemary Jones
Occasional Contributor

cd-rom

We recently restored an image from a ds10 to a ds25. Afterwords the cd-rom no longer loads. We tried the io connect within sysman, but we have no idea how to find the vector information.
7 REPLIES 7
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Did you try SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE?

Did it change name? SHOW DEV D and look
for a "wrtlck" status, then use show dev /full on that unit?

hth,

Hein.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Also and just to cover the bases, do you see the device while being in console mode?

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Although OpenVMS systems disks are transferrable between systems, differences in system parameters may cause trouble booting. For example, going from a large to a small system, NPAGEDYN may be set higher than physical memory, making the disk unbootable.

If in doubt, boot conversationally and

SYSBOOT> USE DEFAULT

to reset the system parameters to minima.

Best advice is to run AUTOGEN on the new system. This should reset system parameters appropriately for the new hardware.
You don't say what version is involved. Make sure it is above the minimum version required for the DS25, and has any required patches installed.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

On most all of my Alphaservers DQA0: is the CD rom drive. The exception to this is the DS10's where this is the internal IDE boot/VIS disk. DQB0: is the CD rom drive on the DS10's.

Have you made a system logical definition for the CD rom that is pointing to DQB0 that was correct for the DS10, but now incorrect for your DS25?

I will not have my DS25 racks powered until monday, so I can't verify the DS25 setup.

Note: My DS25's came with DVD drives installed, not CD drives.
VMS SAN mechanic
├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

As John says, be sure you're running at least V7.3-1 with latest patches. DS25 got a new DVD/CD-RW drive, so it's different from the DS10 drive.
But if you can't see it from console mode no sw will fix it, so check that first.
VMS Forever
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Raj,
what CDROM device are you using (IDE or SCSI)? As suggested by Martin you could device form console.
Also, if you are using SCSI device, remember don't use unit id useb by another device (HD).

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

What version of VMS did you restore from?

The DS25 quickspecs specify on page 4 that VMS7.3-1 is a minimum. I also recall at least one DS25 specific patch to go along with that.
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11432_na/11432_na.pdf
VMS SAN mechanic