1751840 Members
5502 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A powering out?

Mark Wilkinson_3

Paul,

Please check out Mr. Gentles's Comments.

Thanks...
CA486125
Valued Contributor

Not every component that comes out of HP is perfectly refurbished.

I'd replace it once or twice more (while checking cables, etc.) Before looking at the SCSI card or MB.
Jeff Socha

What backup software are you using as we are experiencing the same problem with two of our HP DAT drives.

One is on a Novell 4.x server (don't know the model), the other is on a Windows 2000 Advance Server (C1537A).

Both servers are using a related OS version of the "Verita's Backup EXEC" software.

Our W2KAS is using Veritas Backup EXEC v8.50 Rev. 3571. We encounter the same symptoms as those listed above (on both servers running the Backup EXEC), where if we power off the server, then the DAT drive reinitilizes. However, we only get a few backup's out of it before the DAT tape drive fails again and the LED's go off and/or are on, but the respective Backup EXEC software doesn't see the DAT drive(s).

I've submitted the problem to Veritas Support staff as well, as they had a document/patch related to a similar problem of the tape drive (not this specific one) being disconnected from the drive pool where they also had a patch:

Patch: BNT85SSOFIX_236423.EXE

TechFile ID: 236423

DEFECT #: 2044555
"Backup Exec drive availability issue"
Jeff Socha

Just following up with an email I received today from VERITAS regarding the HP 1537A drive responding the way it is.

They provided the following links for our situation.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235770.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237727.htm

These links were applicable to our situation, as we are running on VERITAS Backup EXEC v8.5 Build: 3571.

I'm in the process of downloading the updates/patches now. Will let you know how it works out for us and if it resolved our problem.

Only got two backups (Tuesday & Wednesday) before our drive went offline after inserting Thursday's backup tape into our C1537A drive.

Hope this helps some of you and/or leads you in the right direction.

Please let me know if any of you were able to resolve your issues with the drive and how.

TIA!
Gary Gilmore

In a previous occurance of this situation, I changed the power connector for this device and the problem seemed to go away. Unfortunately, it returned after a short time. When I replaced all of my tapes, the rate of success went up significantly. However, the problem went away completely only when I replaced the drive.
john_511

they are just acting dead in most cases, i'm a consultant, and i see this across the board with their product within windows 9x, nt, 2k...
with dds2, dds3, and dds4... you'll notice in most cases it'll act like it is dead, however, if you run the ltt software and run an up-date it'll come alive again without a reboot...
or you can power it off and it'll come back...

it is clearly a prom/software issue that hp willnot admit to and therefore not fix

Johnny