108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Colorado 5gb drive on XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA782293

Hi
Back again to see if there's anything new.

You mention new tech and old hardware, please understand the situation. We bought a new Dell D266 (that number alone, dates it), with the HP tape drive. We planned to buy a laptop too, and needed the HP to backup both. W98 was soon to be released, so much so, that Dell send us a return address card with the Pc documents, to get the upgrade as soon as they had all the driver working.

Three months later we did get W98. By that time I had put so much into the D266 that I didn't install W98, for fear of lack of memory.

We did buy the laptop maybe 6 months later, it came with W98 installed. Now here's the kicker. It has been backed up with the HP tape drive!?

We then bought a D350 which came with W98. That's what I recently moved to and tried to take the tape drive with me. Without knowing there would be a problem, I then upgraded the D266 with W98. oops :(.

So Friday I took a look at the W98 versions in each machine, why did the laptop work and the D350 not. I had not tried to use the D266 w/W98, on the HP. It appears the only difference was IE..The D266 and the laptop both had V4.7, but the D350 had IE V5.5, so with hope I tried using the D266 with the HP, and still the same problem.

Maybe you have an idea or an area I can look at and compare the systems. Why the laptop works and the D266 and D350 don't.

I will now think twice about upgrading an operating system, or buying a new PC. As long as what I've got is working, I'm working.

I don't want to be like the government, If it's not broke, fix it, til it is.

Whatever help you can give is greatly appreiciated. Please send that file.

Thanks

MellowImages@msn.com

CA756694
Honored Contributor

An update on the XP parallel port driver

It looks like we've found what the issue is and are working with SCM, through VERITAS, to solve it.

I am hopeful of getting something to look at and test within a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
BR691268

Likewise I find that the drive is detected in device manager but Windows Backup, Colorado Backup and Veritas BE cannot find the drive.

What is really frustrating is that it passes the Tapediag tests with no problems therefore the backup software should work as well. I have also upgraded the BIOS to 2.08.

As I have about 10 machines I wan't to upgrade 1 fix would save me a lot of costs in replacing these drives with something else that will work.

If anyone has a solution I would be grateful
I wouldn't have a job if Windows was qualty software, I love it!!!!!
Sel
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately Alan, I don???t think there is a solution until HP/Veritas/SCM work together to get this working. I too am having this problem with XP Pro and an Ext Colorado 5Gb tape drive. I am waiting for John Nash who works for HP & regularly posts on this site who says that they have found the problem and will post a message as soon as he knows the solution. Not sure if this will help you, but the work around I have is use the Win2K drivers on XP and disconnect the drive at boot up, then go to Device Mgr (reconnect the drive first) and detect new devices. Within about 45 secs the drive will be installed and working. Painful but works until they get an XP driver that does. Hope this helps, Sel.
BR691268

The following page has resolved the problem for me where I can use Win98 as opposed to XP.
It has also given me some clues as to what to look for with XP and I will work on it further

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg13201.html

I hope this is of use to some of you

Alan
I wouldn't have a job if Windows was qualty software, I love it!!!!!
Sel
Occasional Advisor

This message has strangely gone quite, but this problem is still really frustrating me. Surely there must be a fix for the XP driver problem by now? Has anyone successfully got an External Colorado drive working with XP? John Nash, you have been quite too, last I remember you mentioned that HP and all the other companies involved had identified that a problem existed and were looking into it. Is there an update on this? Thx Sel.
CA756694
Honored Contributor

quiet, yes.
'strangely' quiet, no.

The latest update that I have seen on this problem indicates that it hasn't been solved.

When it is, then I will let everyone know and also ensure that the HP website is altered to reflect the fact.

cheers

John

Sel
Occasional Advisor

Still no news then. Their must me a fix by now?? John have you anything for us all waiting for this Windows XP driver then? Regards, Sel
CA756694
Honored Contributor

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x312fc4c76f92d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

I started a separate thread here, as there are just too many smaller ones on this subject.

cheers

John