Karen Miller
Occasional Advisor

Colorado Backup

My Colorado backup has started stopping soon after it starts backing
up. It acts like it is working but no numbers change, and the light on
the tape drive remains dark. It gets up to the 4700 files processed
before it stops.

Do you have any idea what causes this?

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado Backup

If you're running Windows, run Scandisk and see if there are any problems on your hard disk, especially if the backup stops at the same point consistently.
Make a great day!

Roger
Frank Skibbe
Advisor

Hello Karen
please check if the file is ok on the server.
If change the log file setting you find the right file which failing the backup and replace the file with known good backup or remove it.
Karen Miller
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I tried Scandisk and it reported no errors. I'm afraid I did not understand anything about a log file setting on the server so did not know what to do there.

In the meantime, someone sugegsted I run a cleaning disk. Does anyone know where I might locate one? My current disks are QD2120 or QIC 80, 120 mb, 83.7 or 370.5 feet.

Karen
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hello Karen,

You might want to try to retension the tape before you back up.

The tape technology you have relies on having a constant tension of the tape which is pulled over the read/write head of your tape device. If the tension is too low, the tape might not make good contact with the head leading to this kind of behavior. If the tension is too high, the same might happen. Retensioning alleviates any tension differences that have developed by using the tape.

Colorado backup has an option to retension your tape. If this fails, try a new tape.

hope this helps,

-Cal.